Is it complicated to buy a motorcycle? How does it work?

momo034
Posted
Posted

Hello all!  I am arriving in Manila in January and will spend a year there.  I have lived in many Asian cities and have become a big fan of having a little motorcycle to get around and explore the cities and surroundings.  I want to do the same in Manila.  I will be on a tourist visa for the first couple months I am there until my work visa goes through.  

So my question is, does anyone know if it would be possible to buy a motorcycle while still on a tourist visa?  How is the process?  Hard?  Not so hard?  

Thanks for your responses!

robert k
Posted
Posted

The requirements from a dealer are to have cash, a heartbeat and the ability to fill out paperwork from a dealer. Someone can help with the paperwork if you have no arms.:hystery:

To buy from an individual you just need cash...but you need to know everything you need to get from them. Original receipt is one of the biggies. Some places you need a photocopy of the persons picture ID and a picture of the seller shaking hands with you in front of the motorcycle wouldn't hurt either.

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum, I am 6 months behind you, I love to ride a motorcycle, but Philippines will be my first time 'on the other side of the road' and have some trepidations.

Any other members in the same position in the past, if so, how did you cope with the new driving/riding experience?

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Welcome to the forum, I am 6 months behind you, I love to ride a motorcycle, but Philippines will be my first time 'on the other side of the road' and have some trepidations.

Any other members in the same position in the past, if so, how did you cope with the new driving/riding experience?

I walked and took public transportation, mostly trikes, for 2 months observing the local 'rules of the road' before I rented then bought a bike. Less trial and error as that was enough time to know what to expect in many situations.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I have been to Phils many times, 8 I think but never driven there.  I still have the 'other side' syndrome instead of 'left,right,left' I am still do 'right,left,right' when walking.  I suppose the same will apply when I am driving.

Renting a bike for awhile first would be a good idea, but where I am going I have not seen bike rentals, however, to be honest, I was not really looking.

I will make up a jingle for myself about what side of the road to turn onto, that may help!

momo034
Posted
Posted

Thanks all!  Sounds reassuring about the dealer.  Ive got a heartbeat and some cash and if they do the paperwork Im happy to pay a bit of a premium for buying from them as opposed to a private seller.  But you think it wont matter that I wont have a local ID?  That I will be there on a tourist visa?

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Mogo, pretend there is no road, that seems to be what everyone else does.:smile:

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, momo034 said:

Thanks all!  Sounds reassuring about the dealer.  Ive got a heartbeat and some cash and if they do the paperwork Im happy to pay a bit of a premium for buying from them as opposed to a private seller.  But you think it wont matter that I wont have a local ID?  That I will be there on a tourist visa?

There will be no problem in buying a motorcycle. Renting a place to live may be more difficult.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

Mogo, pretend there is no road, that seems to be what everyone else does.:smile:

Good one, I like it, can't beat em join em.

• Like 1