Is it complicated to buy a motorcycle? How does it work?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, momo034 said:

Im happy to pay a bit of a premium for buying from them as opposed to a private seller.  But you think it wont matter that I wont have a local ID?  That I will be there on a tourist visa?

Nothing matters but the cash, when buying a new motorcycle from a dealer. They will register it for you for a year and all you have to do is pay and drive away.  A bit more complicated if buying a used one but since you seem to be asking about buying new from a dealer then its all good and no need to mention notarized bills of sale or anything like that which you would need for a used one.

• Like 5

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Buying from a dealer was easy. A year of insurance and application for a plate # were included.

I didn't have cash- a credit card worked.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

I didn't have cash- a credit card worked.

You did well.  Many dealers in the provinces did not accept credit cards in the past.  Perhaps more of them do now but I would not count on it.  They have to pay a premium to accept a card and anyone I know who has managed to use a card has had to pay 3 or 4 % surcharge.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

I walked and took public transportation, mostly trikes, for 2 months observing the local 'rules of the road' before I rented then bought a bike. Less trial and error as that was enough time to know what to expect in many situations.

Rules of the road? The rule there is that the bigger vehicles have the right of way. Other then that there are no rules; it's just one giant fee for all! 

@Momo034

Buying from a dealer, used or new, is a piece of cake. But before leaving be sure to check the numbers on the paperwork against the bike itself (matching VIN/engine number, license plate number) as well as ensure that everything is spelled correctly (like your name!) as it could be a real hassle if you need to correct any of it later. Also, common sense perhaps - but often overlooked - make sure all the lights, turn signals, brakes and horn (which you'll use a lot) are working and that the clutch (if equipped) is properly adjusted. Check the tire pressure too. 

Once you get it back to where you're staying you also might want to check every nut, bolt and screw you can reach to ensure they're tight - if the bike you buy has spoked wheels then you might want to check them too for proper tension/tightness (or have a local shop do it).

Be sure to also get a good quality helmet (full face or open with visor is up to you), good quality sunglasses or clear safety type glasses (great for at night) and don't wear flip flops like the locals do (not only unsafe, but cops like to hassle you - even though it's ok for locals foreigners operate under separate rules).

You will need to get a Philippines driver's license after 60 (or 90 days?) or get an international license as they're valid for one year. Make a copy of the OR and CR (title and registration) and always carry the copies with you when riding; store the originals in a safe place. 

@ Mogo51. How's this for a jingle?

Keep right except to pass, drive left and kill your a**

Edited by Gator
  • Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

If you are a new rider in Asia it may well be wise to settle in a bit before buying.

Speak to others whom have experience, takes a while for broken bones to heal.

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Nothing matters but the cash, when buying a new motorcycle from a dealer. They will register it for you for a year and all you have to do is pay and drive away.  A bit more complicated if buying a used one but since you seem to be asking about buying new from a dealer then its all good and no need to mention notarized bills of sale or anything like that which you would need for a used one.

I rarely buy new Dave, as I just don't use motorbikes or cars enough in Asia to justify it.  So when I get over in July, I will call on you and get some info that is relevant, if that is ok.  Been involved in the car trade a bit in Oz, bu it is a different ball game in Phils/Thailand.  Bought 2nd hand here, but from a Brit and all was good, he was a wheeler and dealer and all docs were spot on.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

A good one - I was thinking 'turn right keep it tight, turn left and lay it out'?

• Like 2

momo034
Posted
Posted

Buying from a dealer, used or new, is a piece of cake.

Nothing matters but the cash, when buying a new motorcycle from a dealer. They will register it for you for a year and all you have to do is pay and drive away. 

This is all very promising information.  Thanks everyone!  As for the driving safety bit, Im not too worried, I braved 6 months in India on a motorycle, can't imagine Manila can be crazier than New Delhi!

But really...you guys think Ill be fine buying from a dealer...even without my residence?  I will have a passport, and an international drivers license, but nothing that shows I am a Philippine resident....

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 12/13/2016 at 7:17 AM, mogo51 said:

Welcome to the forum, I am 6 months behind you, I love to ride a motorcycle, but Philippines will be my first time 'on the other side of the road' and have some trepidations.

Any other members in the same position in the past, if so, how did you cope with the new driving/riding experience?

I thought I was going to find it difficult transferring to the other side of the road but it was quite easy mate.I did try to drive responsibly but in doing that I was cut up all the time. Now I drive the same way(just not as dangerously) as they do.One thing to watch out for is when you are turning left some twits will still overtake you even if there is plenty of room on the right.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, momo034 said:

This is all very promising information.  Thanks everyone!  As for the driving safety bit, Im not too worried, I braved 6 months in India on a motorycle, can't imagine Manila can be crazier than New Delhi!

But really...you guys think Ill be fine buying from a dealer...even without my residence?  I will have a passport, and an international drivers license, but nothing that shows I am a Philippine resident....

I had no ID or a driving licence asked for when I bought mine.They just want your personal info for the records and registration.

• Like 3