Is it complicated to buy a motorcycle? How does it work?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

How has your RUSI performed? Have you encountered problems that you wouldn't have has on the Honda version? I am considering a RUSI for my wife.

I would not call my RUSI dependable.  All the parts are cheap so constant tweaking, fixing, or replacing of parts is needed.  For example, I may be out for the evening and suddenly my headlight will go out.  Might be the switch, wire, bulb or whatever and hammering on it will usually fix it.  Battery and tires and tubes had to be replaced prematurely. Brake shoes wore out quick.  So its good cheap transportation if you can fix stuff or know where to go to get it fixed cheap.  I would feel bad if I bought one for the wife and it was constantly breaking down on her.  A Honda Wave Dash for the wife would be a much better option.  Their Scoopys and Beats are a bit heavy for many of the ladies I know who have them.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I would feel bad if I bought one for the wife and it was constantly breaking down on her.  A Honda Wave Dash for the wife would be a much better option.  Their Scoopys and Beats are a bit heavy for many of the ladies I know who have them.

Yup, I wouldn't like that either. She like the RUSI Mojo 110 because she can sit on it and have both feet flat on the ground. I was thinking the RUSI KR jr. as it is still a small bike but with better ground clearance so she could have an easier ride up the mountain to visit her parents. Not worth it if I have to go rescue her all the time though.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Not worth it if I have to go rescue her all the time though.

I'm sure there are lots of boys in the bukid who can help out a damsel in distress :hystery:

Anyway, the RUSI is not that bad if she has her heart set on it.  Just a bit frustrating if you are used to reliable transport.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Yup, I wouldn't like that either. She like the RUSI Mojo 110 because she can sit on it and have both feet flat on the ground. I was thinking the RUSI KR jr. as it is still a small bike but with better ground clearance so she could have an easier ride up the mountain to visit her parents. Not worth it if I have to go rescue her all the time though.

Honda make a pretty low slung scooter the Ruckus (different name in Philippines?) and Kawasaki make a KR 110? motorcycle that is low slung. I think they are pricy but then my legs are long enough I can flat foot most any bike at a stop. If my legs were shorter I might change my mind as to their value. :smile:

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, momo034 said:

Hi Gator, out of curiosity, how much did you pay for that used Rascal Dual Sport?

Base price was 42k. That was in 2014, the bike is a 2013, was used by previous owner for around 4 months and had about 600km on it. At the time new ones were selling for about 55-60k. 

See Dave's post about the reliably of budget bikes. Basically the same with mine. Next one for me won't be another Racal or Rusi.  

Edited by Gator

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

Honda make a pretty low slung scooter the Ruckus (different name in Philippines?) and Kawasaki make a KR 110? motorcycle that is low slung. I think they are pricy but then my legs are long enough I can flat foot most any bike at a stop. If my legs were shorter I might change my mind as to their value. :smile:

In the Philippines Honda calls the Rucus - not available sir. Kawasaki however does have the KSR110, color pink! The power sucks (but I think that may be a good thing for her) and the price is a bit extreme, at p103,000. 

bob1965
Posted
Posted

I think Honda ruckus = Honda zoomer over there. 

• Like 2

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Careful about some of the advice on here, some things are not true in Manila at all. 

First of all, there are more frequent police checks than you'd imagine. I managed to get stopped three times within 4 days between Manila and Subic. Once in Makati, once one the road and once in Subic Freeport. Every time they checked helmet, lights (on at night), my driving license (foreign), checked how long I've stayed in the Philippines (less than 30 days!!) and checked my vehicle registration paper - valid for one year. So believe me, they do take that stuff seriously, and given that there's usually two dozen policemen at a police checkpoint bribing them with a 500 or so will most likely not work in case your papers are not in order. They confiscate bikes that aren't registered until the owner pays the fine at the traffic police office or similar where the bike is registered. Happened to a couple poor bastards who were waiting there with me. 

There's a shortage of license plates (another topic you can research if you feel like it...), so you'll get an "under registration" plate plus some monthly papers to be shown to police that you are in the process or so. I got mine within 6-7 months, delivered to my address (you need one to register bike). 

So yes, you can indeed just walk into a motorbike store, bring some cash and drive away half an hour later, but the paperwork has to be done, and you better make sure they do it right! 

I drive a Honda CB110, very economic bike, hardly uses any petrol at all, cost me 50k PHP - but I wish I had bought a larger bike, on country roads and uphill it just doesn't accelerate fast enough. 

Edited by afathertobe
  • Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
On 12/13/2016 at 5:48 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

You did well.  Many dealers in the provinces did not accept credit cards in the past.  Perhaps more of them do now but I would not count on it.  They have to pay a premium to accept a card and anyone I know who has managed to use a card has had to pay 3 or 4 % surcharge.

It was at Du Ek Sam in Tagbilaran. I believe there was a surcharge of 1 or 2 percent, not more. Also, they threw in a helmet and a long sleeve shirt.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
russellmania
Posted
Posted
On 12/16/2016 at 4:18 AM, afathertobe said:

Careful about some of the advice on here, some things are not true in Manila at all. 

First of all, there are more frequent police checks than you'd imagine. I managed to get stopped three times within 4 days between Manila and Subic. Once in Makati, once one the road and once in Subic Freeport. Every time they checked helmet, lights (on at night), my driving license (foreign), checked how long I've stayed in the Philippines (less than 30 days!!) and checked my vehicle registration paper - valid for one year. So believe me, they do take that stuff seriously, and given that there's usually two dozen policemen at a police checkpoint bribing them with a 500 or so will most likely not work in case your papers are not in order. They confiscate bikes that aren't registered until the owner pays the fine at the traffic police office or similar where the bike is registered. Happened to a couple poor bastards who were waiting there with me. 

There's a shortage of license plates (another topic you can research if you feel like it...), so you'll get an "under registration" plate plus some monthly papers to be shown to police that you are in the process or so. I got mine within 6-7 months, delivered to my address (you need one to register bike). 

So yes, you can indeed just walk into a motorbike store, bring some cash and drive away half an hour later, but the paperwork has to be done, and you better make sure they do it right! 

I drive a Honda CB110, very economic bike, hardly uses any petrol at all, cost me 50k PHP - but I wish I had bought a larger bike, on country roads and uphill it just doesn't accelerate fast enough. 

How did they check how long had you been in the Philippines at the check point?