My neighbor has shamed me into working on my house

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

After 5 days:

Our current house wall texture is a stucco-like rough texture.  Our neighbor put skim coat over theirs and we like the way it came out, so we will do the same on the yellow wall you see and eventually the rest of the house.  They will do that wall tomorrow.

DSCN3004-001.JPG

DSCN3005-001.JPG

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

After 5 days:

Our current house wall texture is a stucco-like rough texture.  Our neighbor put skim coat over theirs and we like the way it came out, so we will do the same on the yellow wall you see and eventually the rest of the house.  They will do that wall tomorrow.

Wow. Those guys work fast. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I know exactly what Jake would say..... Why be ashamed you should manipulate your neighbor into doing the work for you. My gosh it was all good until they moved in. Bunch of trouble makers.... I know that's what Jake would suggest

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, earthdome said:

Wow. Those guys work fast. 

We are happy with them.  We are paying them per day and thought they might drag out the work, but they are pushing hard everyday, almost too fast because my lazy a** has to try to keep up with them!  Also, they have to start working for the neighbor again when they return in mid-January.

Our first house that we rented was owned by an American.  He owned both halves of the duplex and employed a guy full-time to do everything around the house.  Yard work, wash cars, build things, repair things, walk the dog, etc.  We still know him and see him often.  We have been thinking about hiring someone like this because we have a ton of projects that could be one man or one man with a temp helper.  The lead guy on our project is a good guy and very knowledgeable about everything construction.  We are thinking of making him an offer.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I am "shameless". I don't care how nice my neighbor's home is compared to mine. I don't try to keep up with the Jones's.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

After 6 days:

Ready for tiles tomorrow.  One coat of skim coat on the wall.  It needs two to be smooth.  They built the "sit-on" wall top and it has a lot of re-bar in it, so hopefully it will be strong.  It will have puwet friendly tiles on the top and sides.  They also worked on rain gutters in the back of my house too.

Interesting comment from the lead guy.  He said the neighbors plan to extend their sala out into the porch area sometime next year, where I built the small wall.  Seem odd as they just installed a new window there and they would have to complete move a load bearing wall, unless they just plan to enclose the porch and have a doorway.  That may be old information as she never mentioned it to me when we were discussing the wall there.  If they do, fine, I will just have a solid wall there, which we considered anyway.

DSCN3018-001.JPG

DSCN3019-001.JPG

DSCN3020-001.JPG

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 12/17/2016 at 8:59 AM, Queenie O. said:

OMW--will you have a trellis or some sort of divider between the your side and the other people next door, or will it be one big expanse? Nice and roomy, and very professional looking so far! You'll enjoy that new space.

Queenie, I thought you might have some suggestions for us.  We hope to some nice flowers in that new terrace (underneath the wood forms shown).  It gets hot afternoon sun there.  Do you have any suggestions on flowers that would do well there?  Honestly we have not had much luck with the potted flowers we have bought, except for the small rose plants my wife likes.

DSCN3020-001.JPG

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Looking great

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Queenie, I thought you might have some suggestions for us.  We hope to some nice flowers in that new terrace (underneath the wood forms shown).  It gets hot afternoon sun there.  Do you have any suggestions on flowers that would do well there?  Honestly we have not had much luck with the potted flowers we have bought, except for the small rose plants my wife likes.

DSCN3020-001.JPG

Don, what is the blue vertical pipe beside the window?