Windows 10 Rant

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

With Windows 10 and my Acer Aspire Notebook, the battery lasts twice as long as on my previous laptop. BUT everything takes twice as long to do because of the "battery conservation" protocol when on battery power only.

Hmm   battery lasts twice as long but everything takes twice as long to accomplish . .  progress? F'ing idiots I say.  And I cannot find adjustments on Windows 10 to say:  Damn the battery drain!  Give me Full processing power, Scotty!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Have you tried resetting your "Power and Sleep Settings"?  

Power and Sleep Settings > Additional Power Settings >  Show Additional Plans  > Choose High Performance

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Have you tried resetting your "Power and Sleep Settings"?  

Power and Sleep Settings > Additional Power Settings >  Show Additional Plans  > Choose High Performance

Thanks for that.  I followed along and found out I am already set at "High Performance".  Dang I'd hate to see what low performance looks like :hystery:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Thanks for that.  I followed along and found out I am already set at "High Performance".  Dang I'd hate to see what low performance looks like :hystery:

Dave, have you tried the Kili-kili power yet?  After all, when in Rome, do as the local Filipinos do....he, he.  Kili Kili Power.jpg

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

when on battery power only.

Then plug it in. I don't notice any difference with my Acer Aspire W10 whether on battery or a/c but I do notice a difference when there are 3 or 4 others in the house on wifi at the same time. Is Y doing online shopping when you are on battery? What is your signal strength? I get 3mbs with PLDT.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Dave, search youtube for a W10 optimization video, or possibly you could wipe your hard drive and go to a lean mean W7. Copy down your product key before doing this is what I would tell most people but if I recall, you weren't able to activate W10? 

The below will be more useful if your processor is intel and not AMD.

The newer chips in home products are often LESS powerful than older processors. A new Intel quad core 1.6ghz on a single thread task where the other 3 cores are idle is going to be much slower than a practically ancient dual core chip clocked a 2.0 ghz. A two thread task is going to be an even bigger difference in favor of the old 2.0 ghz processor. The quad core 1.6 is only going to be faster when you do something that requires 3 threads or more. 3 threads is probably only going to be slightly faster because the faster dual core 2.0 ghz chip is probably going to finish one task faster and start working on the third task. Video rendering is going to be faster on the quad core because there are many tasks (threads) to be accomplished at one time.

I just replaced the ancient processor (celeron 1000M 1.8 ghz X2) in my laptop with a (new old stock $50) Core i3 2.4 Ghz dual core with hyperthreading for an appreciable boost. Hyperthreading means that the cores don't have any idle time, (each core can work on two tasks at once) unless there is no work to be done and some benchmarks will classify a hyperthreading dual core as a 4 core processor (but they are not).

Ram can be a factor also, if you have 4 gb, it's enough, there would be slight gains with more but probably not worth the effort. If you have 2 GB ram, you will notice some improvement if you upgrade to 4 gb but I would upgrade to 8gb (if your motherboard allows) to future proof that aspect of the system.

In my opinion the best of the newer budget processors would be the pentium N3700 2.4 Ghz true quad core processor. It doesn't hyperthread but it is honest 4 hard working cores and if it did hyperthread it would almost be an expensive Core i7.

If you have an AMD processor, you are on your own because I had Intel and I decided to stick with it because life is too short to become informed on absolutely everything. That said I'm writing this from a desktop with an AMD Athlon X2 2.5 Ghz 16 GB 1866 Mhz ram W7 that is what I use since I have a desk to sit at. It was cheap. I will scavenge the ram out of it and bring it back with me when I return, waste not, want not.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jpbago said:

Then plug it in

I do, but then there are brownouts . . .

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, robert k said:

if I recall, you weren't able to activate W10? 

Correct, the manager of the store I bought this laptop at has been emailing me every week to tell me he will get that sorted "today" but I have about given up on that.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Correct, the manager of the store I bought this laptop at has been emailing me every week to tell me he will get that sorted "today" but I have about given up on that.

Surely Dave you have heard, many times from me and others that TODAY, is the TOMMOROW, that everyone was so worried about YESTERDAY

:hystery: :popcorn:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 5

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted (edited)

Windows 10:571c66d400c8c_1(103): Downloaded it from Microsoft twice and made 2 bootable CDs

And saved both downloads to my back up drive.

First attempt l formatted the drive and it would not boot ( missing files )

Second attempt it installed and booted up:thumbsup:.

Looked good until i wanted the wifi, and sound , graphics ( saved drivers not compatible )

Went on the Dell website downloaded the drivers and on reboot got the blue screen of death ! ( ati graphics prob )

That was enough for me ! Went back to windows 7 Ultimate turned off Auto updates

And no problems since.

Edited by expatuk2014
  • Like 1