DNS Address Could Not Be Found

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know why I could be getting this error:

Fullscreen capture 12192016 111555 AM.jpg

I am often getting these for some of the sites I use in the U.S.  I have PLDT Fiber with great speed, but these have been coming more and more frequently.  Any home remedies?

When it happens, it comes up immediately, then....

-sometimes the page will refresh automatically and the page will come up

- sometimes I wait a while and when I refresh, it will come up

I have noted that if I sign in to VPN, I never get it.  However, VPN is to slow to use all the time.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Or similar, I think it depends on which version of windows you are using as to how to set to google DNS 

Goto Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center > Click Change Adapter setting> Right click select properties of wifi> select internet protocol version 4 > click on use the following DNS server address and type either of the 2 DNS given below.
GooglesDNS -->Preferred DNS server as: 8.8.8.8 
              Alternate DNS server as: 8.8.4.4
OpenDNS -->Preferred DNS server as: 208.67.222.222 
           Alternate DNS server as: 208.67.220.220

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Or similar, I think it depends on which version of windows you are using as to how to set to google DNS 

Goto Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center > Click Change Adapter setting> Right click select properties of wifi> select internet protocol version 4 > click on use the following DNS server address and type either of the 2 DNS given below.

What happens doing that vs leaving it set to automatic?

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

What happens doing that vs leaving it set to automatic?

I had mine set to automatic also until I suddenly kept getting "resolving host" issues or unable to connect. I believe it was this time of year (tis the season for online shopping) where my main browser (Google Chrome) was being "maliciously changed", as indicated by my anti-virus/malware program.  Often times when I do connect under a bogus DNS address, I get all kinds of popups.  

The instructions provided by Boss Man was the exact steps I took to check or change the DNS address.  In this case, using Google as my main browser, it's DNS address should be 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4DNS address for Google.JPG 

Copy old address just in case you need to revert back to original setting.  This time of year, the hackers are getting more vicious in trying to get into your personal data.  I now check my DNS, run a virus scan and deep defrag about once a week now.  

Good luck OMW!

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

As others have stated, use the free Google DNS servers. Quite frequently, PLDTs DNS servers go up and down, not to mention their flawed routing plan. By reaching back to the US it may add a couple ms in response but very reliable.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks!  I will try these out!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

When I went in the DNS server was not set to auto, but the addresses were blank  ????

I set them to Google and it seems to be working fast!  Thanks!

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

When I went in the DNS server was not set to auto, but the addresses were blank  ????

I set them to Google and it seems to be working fast!  Thanks!

You can compensate JGF in cash for resolving your problem.  As for me, all I want is that dog house you promise to build for me, OK?  

Make sure you check DNS settings periodically.  

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Changed my DNS to google, didn't help with "ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT" trying to go here https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/movingtotexas.htm

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Changed my DNS to google, didn't help with "ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT" trying to go here https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/movingtotexas.htm

Works for me ? Timed out might be your slow connection. 

• Like 1