What are the eligibility requirements for financial assistance by the us embassy

Rain44
Posted
Posted

I've run into a dead end trying to survive in the Philippines. I need to get back home but broke. No family or friends to turn to. I checked the embassy site and it States I need to be eligible to receive financial assistance. Does anyone know what the requirements are? 

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, rainart222 said:

I've run into a dead end trying to survive in the Philippines. I need to get back home but broke. No family or friends to turn to. I checked the embassy site and it States I need to be eligible to receive financial assistance. Does anyone know what the requirements are? 

I don't know about assistance to return to the states by the US Embassy. However, I think the American Red Cross may be able to help. I know the American Red Cross has been able to assist some Americans stranded in Mexico. The one that I know of is a Viet Nam Vet. The Red Cross assisted with a bus trip back to LA. 

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If and when you find a way back I hope you remember to post it here.  I have known more than a handful of American expats who could not get any help from their government/embassy to get home other than the offer to contact a relative and arrange for that relative to send money.

Of course if you were to tell the Embassy that you had committed a crime, such as dating a 17 year old, they may ship you back for a trial?  I don't know anyone who has tried that and I don't know the consequences but if I was in dire straights I would surely look into it.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

An American near to my house was sent back to USA with the help of a church group and US Embassy after his Filipina wife passed away. As Dave says, we never hear the details of how they did it but we know that he has left. If you overstay your visa, then go to Immigration, maybe they will work with the US Embassy to get you to USA.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, rainart222 said:

I would say the best option if you're in that situation is talk to them. We can not solve the problem and no matter what advice we give wont get you home.

• Like 3

Rain44
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If and when you find a way back I hope you remember to post it here.  I have known more than a handful of American expats who could not get any help from their government/embassy to get home other than the offer to contact a relative and arrange for that relative to send money.

Of course if you were to tell the Embassy that you had committed a crime, such as dating a 17 year old, they may ship you back for a trial?  I don't know anyone who has tried that and I don't know the consequences but if I was in dire straights I would surely look into it.

As serious as my situation is your suggestion actually made me laugh. I know it's a serious suggestion it's just that is insanely clever and risky at the same time. I just want to be prepared for any questions that they will ask when I inquire so that I have a best chance of qualifying.. Why would they state financial assistance and eligibility requirements if it doesn't really exist? Thank you for that suggestion 

• Like 1

Rain44
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Sorry to hear about your current situation Rainart. 

Maybe this organization can assist you.

http://www.americanassociation-ph.com/projects

This is a valuable link. Thanks so much will try them. Their in makati too so that's convenient. 

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, rainart222 said:

This is a valuable link. Thanks so much will try them. Their in makati too so that's convenient. 

That's great rainart--I hope that they can help you. I hope too that 2017 finds you a better situation. Best of Luck, and tell us how you make out.

• Like 2