Renting a car in the U.S.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I was hoping someone might know about this, although it is a bit complicated.  I am trying to find a good deal on a rental car for our U.S. holiday next year.

When I browse without VPN, the car rental web sites flag me up as a "foreigner" and they automatically add in about $30 per day for LDW, damage and theft insurance.  For a one month rental that is a lot of bucks.

When I browse with VPN, the LDW is not added, as they think I am in the U.S.

My credit card that I will make the booking with uses my U.S. mailing address.

Here is the only problem I might have.  I no longer have a U.S. drivers license.  I checked and my Philippines license is fine for renting, but I wonder, will they hassle me about the LDW because of the foreign license?  I don't think they can force me to take LDW if I show proof of coverage, right?  I will have $50,000 LDW coverage from my credit card and I will probably have additional coverage from a travel insurance policy I will purchase.

Do you foresee any issues?  99% of my prior rentals were business related and the company insurance was used, so don't have much experience with non-business rentals.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

A Filipino friend and I have rented in LA, Denver and Seattle for our family vacations over the years. As you know Philippines license was fine. Insurance was reasonable as I remember, his card like yours provided some coverage.

Contact me PM and I would be willing to help if I can but it would be better if you speak directly to a company here first. You should be able to buy insurance on your own for exactly what you plan for much less than a rental company would provide.

I think there are special rental companies who provide cars and vans for road trip tours like your family plans. This may save you some money.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

You should be able to buy insurance on your own for exactly what you plan for much less than a rental company would provide.

Yes, the car rental companies make a fortune selling insurance.  I searched and found more information on cheap 3rd party insurance, so I am not worried.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

I think there are special rental companies who provide cars and vans for road trip tours like your family plans. This may save you some money.

I searched and could not find anything like this.  If you know of any, let me know.  Actually I found what appear to be good deals, even on Hertz, who usually are high.  Not bad for a month.

Fullscreen capture 12222016 121059 AM.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

A rental car update that might help somebody in the future, if they have my situation for renting a car in my home country.

Restating my situation a bit more clearly:

- I only have a Philippine driver's licence.  My last U.S. license expired.

- I no longer have any auto insurance in the U.S.  My Philippine auto insurance will not cover anything in another country.  U.S. auto insurance usually covers rental cars in addition to your personal vehicles.

- I no longer have any homeowner's insurance in the U.S.  Homeowner's insurance will often cover you for 3rd party liability insurance when renting car.

- I need insurance to protect my assets while driving in the U.S., a sue-happy country.  And the rental car companies require you to have insurance that will replace / repair their car if damaged or stolen.

Stuff I found out through a lot of research....

- If you reside abroad, U.S. rental companies consider you a foreign renter.  Even if you are a U.S. citizen and still have a U.S. driver's license.  However, you could mask yourself as a U.S. renter if you give them a U.S. address and have a U.S. license.  They use your license to determine your country of residence.  Why does this matter?  Not much unless you rent from Hertz in California.  They automatically add LDW and Liability insurance into their rates if you are a foreign renter.  The other companies still let you rent at regular rates but you will need to prove that you have at least LDW to cover their car, and they might / will pressure you more to buy other insurance products.

- Your major credit card might cover you for the LDW if you use it for the car.  LDW is only coverage for loss or damage of the vehicle.  Check the coverage for loopholes.  My Capital One Mastercard has $50,000 LDW coverage, and after reading all the fine print, it appears to be good enough, so I will use it.  LDW from the rental companies is way overpriced, usually around $30 per day, so they make a ton of money on it.  You can buy 3rd party LDW for about $10 a day if you need to.

- I have no liability insurance while in the U.S., so I need to buy it.  I did not find any companies selling short term liability that would cover a driving trip in the U.S, so I have to buy it from the rental company.  All, except one, of the rental companies offer 2 tiers of liability insurance.  The first is only up to the state minimum limits, which in Calif. is only USD 25k, I think.  Then, for additional premium, you can get $1 million.  Together, the premiums are usually around $25 a day for $1 million.  However, I was happy to find an anomaly at Avis.  They offer primary (pays first) liability insurance, $2 million limit, for $15 a day.

Their rates were fine too, so I am renting from Avis.  Total for 30 days, including $421 for the liability insurance, is $1633.  That is for a 7 passenger mini-van like a Chrysler Town & Country or a Dodge Caravan, unlimited miles.

I'm anticipating driving at least 5000 miles, so I hope I can find cheap gas!  Our route is Southern, L.A. to Denver via the Grand Canyon, then back on a Northern route, via Lake Tahoe to San Fran, then back down to L.A.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Outstanding detail very helpful. :thumbsup:

Jake
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm anticipating driving at least 5000 miles, so I hope I can find cheap gas!  Our route is Southern, L.A. to Denver via the Grand Canyon, then back on a Northern route, via Lake Tahoe to San Fran, then back down to L.A.

Do you need a Filipino driver (me) while in the states Don?  I'm a good dri-ber, cutting in and out of traffic and occupying two lanes at the same time.  I also like to use my horn a lot and very familiar using the American finger.

Otherwise, best of luck to you.  

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

Outside of California reasonably cheap gas shouldn't be a problem if you aren't fueling on the interstate access road.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

Outside of California reasonably cheap gas shouldn't be a problem if you aren't fueling on the interstate access road.

Or hire Jake as he suggested.  I understand he will also provide the gas provided you feed him several burritos each day. :mocking:

• Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mike J said:

Or hire Jake as he suggested.  I understand he will also provide the gas provided you feed him several burritos each day. :mocking:

I doubt a Chrysler Town&Country is rated for that kind of octane!:smile:

• Like 3