Renting a car in the U.S.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, intrepid said:

OMY, I don't know your family history in the US,..if you have any adult children or their location.  When I return home for a visit, both my kids have extra cars so I plan to use them and just give them some money for the use as if renting.  Win win for both of us.  The issue for me is when we visit Las Vegas and the area sites.  I will be stuck renting a car.  I am maintaining a US address and drivers license, and of course cc.  However, your information on the insurance will be very helpful.  Thanks

I have lots of family that we are visiting and did think a little bit about this.  For a short trip it might be workable but not for the long trip we are taking.  Actually we missed out on an opportunity.  When I left the U.S., I sold my 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid to my sister.  I called to tell her we were coming on this U.S. trip and she told me they just sold it!  And they sold their other old mini-van, and their old Prius, and they bought a new mini-van a new Prius.

The Accord Hybrid would have been great for the trip but a bit crowded.  We need a late model, reliable, fairly large vehicle to carry 2 adults, a 12 year old and 2 little ones in car seats, and room for all of our gear.

We will be driving over 5000 miles and that would really put a dent in the value of someone's late model car, so I don't think I could do that unless they were very rich!

I am holding out hope that my niece will let me borrow their very expensive luxury motor-home so I can travel in style like JJR, but I will not hold my breath!

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Don't forget travel insurance as well for the 5 in your family.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Don't forget travel insurance as well for the 5 in your family.

Yes, I have that covered using a company called USA-Assist that Jon1 recommended.  There are not that many companies who offer it with good coverage.

Pacific Cross has travel insurance for only $68 but the limit is $100,000 and you need a lot more than that in the U.S.

If you buy certain Pacific Cross dollar insurance it will cover you while traveling in the U.S., but those are very expensive policies.

I just met with an insurance agent yesterday so those numbers are fresh on my mind.  :smile:

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Pacific Cross has travel insurance

My wife has a yearly policy of medical insurance with Pacific Cross that covers 30 days of travel insurance then I buy Manulife for the balance of our trip (5 months for $400).

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I am holding out hope that my niece will let me borrow their very expensive luxury motor-home so I can travel in style like JJR, but I will not hold my breath!

You can always rent an RV - http://m.cruiseamerica.com/

A 30 day rental for a 30 footer (7 passenger) would run you about $2,500.00 plus a mileage fee of around 0.35 cents per mile.

On the surface it sounds pricey, but an average hotel room in the area's you mentioned will run you around $60-80 a night (if not more and without extra person fees) and then you need to add in cost of food at restos (breakfast might be include at many hotels you stay at) plus snacks, drinks, etc. 

Having the RV allows you to stock up at say a Wal-Mart, cook some of your own meals (even if just sandwiches for lunch would save a bundle) plus not have to unpack and pack at every new destination/night. 

Note: I have no interest in the RV rental business, but I did do a similar road trip many years ago and I still remember the hassle; swore I'd never do it again. 

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Gator said:

You can always rent an RV - http://m.cruiseamerica.com/

A 30 day rental for a 30 footer (7 passenger) would run you about $2,500.00 plus a mileage fee of around 0.35 cents per mile.

On the surface it sounds pricey, but an average hotel room in the area's you mentioned will run you around $60-80 a night (if not more and without extra person fees) and then you need to add in cost of food at restos (breakfast might be include at many hotels you stay at) plus snacks, drinks, etc. 

Having the RV allows you to stock up at say a Wal-Mart, cook some of your own meals (even if just sandwiches for lunch would save a bundle) plus not have to unpack and pack at every new destination/night. 

Note: I have no interest in the RV rental business, but I did do a similar road trip many years ago and I still remember the hassle; swore I'd never do it again. 

I would like to do the RV trip sometime but not this trip.  It would be better for a long trip to areas where we don't have a free place to stay.  This trip is mainly a "meet the relatives" trip with some sightseeing.  We only need overnight hotels during our long drive east to Denver and again on the long drive west.  My total hotel bill for the entire month is $648 and just for those long drives.  We are going to bring a cooler and perhaps sometimes we can stop for a picnic lunch.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, jpbago said:

My wife has a yearly policy of medical insurance with Pacific Cross that covers 30 days of travel insurance then I buy Manulife for the balance of our trip (5 months for $400).

I have all the current Pacific Cross information here in front of me.  Under the peso plans, that worldwide cover for 30 days is reimbursable at "currently applicable Philippine medical rates".  I'm not sure about Canada, but that would not cover much of a U.S. medical emergency.  They do have much more expensive dollar plans that would cover the billed amount.  Even in those plans, you can get a 25% discount if you exclude Canada, U.S., Caribbean, Japan and China.

I checked Manulife.  They don't have anything applicable to a U.S. citizen living in PH and travelling to the U.S.  Looks like they have a lot for you Canadians.

When I get back in June I will probably sign up for a Pacific Cross plan.  Not sure which one.  It seems that the rates are a lot higher now than some of the rates I heard discussed on the forum over the past few years.

• Like 2