Ham, not frozen

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I have no idea why all ham seems to be frozen here but anyone know where I can get some decent ham in Cebu?

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted

S&R?

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

On a pig? But seriously, I would try to work a deal with a butcher at a wet market.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

all ham seems to be frozen here

Frozen and thawed quite often.  You can see it at Robinsons if you watch.  They will take a ham out of the freezer and put it on display until it is almost all the way thawed out and then put it back in the freezer and grab another frozen one for the display.  I can only guess they last longer (for the store anyway) when they do that.  That ham tastes like crap anyway.  Gotta go to a deli like WhyNot to get real ham.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I have no idea why all ham seems to be frozen here but anyone know where I can get some decent ham in Cebu?

Tom, you can try "The Tinder Box" deli, I think their hams are fresh and not frozen. Plus they're not far from you.

They're located next to the Crossroads Mall (small strip mall) in Banilad on Gov. M. Cuenco Ave. Coming from Ayala they're just past the flyover on the right (Shell gas station, Crossroads then the Tinder Box). 

They also have a great selection of wine, plus other deli items (many imported) as well as a good resto and bakery. Have to warn you, they tend to be on the pricey side.

Disclaimer: I have no commercial or other interests in the above business, I've only shopped fire on a few occasions when I wanted something special or wanted to treat myself :smile:

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Gotta go to a deli like WhyNot to get real ham.

I order it fresh from Naturally Negros over here, no idea if they have something similar in Cebu. Naturally Negros has several items to pick from, I wait until I want a large order (p1,000+) and they deliver for free.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I agree Tender Box.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Yes Tinder box ,S&R or one I buy now and again is Virginia cooked ham it is frozen but it tastes good and the texture is good.You could try Belcris in Mandaue they do some good stuff.It is by the twin bridges shopping place the address is   Plaridel Mandaue City Cebu
City of Cebu City, Cebu
Phone: +63(032)3438219

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Last week we bought a 1 Kg ham at S&R for p480.  It was something Ranch, I forget the exact name.  It was a frozen ham, but very good.  On the label it said it was made in Manila for S&R. It had a kind of a sweet glaze on it (sweet to me, not 'Filipino sweet'). They were giving free samples and my wife liked it - I would probably not pay that much for one ha ha  :tiphat:

That stuff at SM & Robinson's does seem to be thawed out a lot!  I am scared to buy any of them. And unsure if they are any good to begin with.

A couple years ago at a hotel we had some of a giant ham for American Thanksgiving.  It had to be 4 or 5 kilos. Wonderful ham. No idea where it came from.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 12/22/2016 at 4:47 PM, frozenmystic28 said:

S&R?

I agree--I've gotten fresh ham slices in their deli case lately, and they were excellent and not too expensive either. Many varieties. This was honey ham.

As an aside, FYI everyone-- Purefoods Fiesta Ham comes frozen. As it thaws out in the cooler on the long way way home, I usually cook/heat it in the oven, and then divide it up into portions with foil and re-freeze it for different meals like pea soup, carbonara, and for breakfast sometimes with homefries. In my opinion, this is the closest local ham to taste the most like a sliced holiday type ham in the US. 

• Like 2