Ham, not frozen

Bruce
Posted
Posted

The issue with 'ham' is not the meat so much but the curing process and TIME. I find most things made and sold for a profit are rushed through the process in the Philippines. 3 week old Tuba is a good example. For those in the US, mail order spices and glaze made to US standards are available along with curing directions. Since many expats seem to have a lot of idle time (drinking time) perhaps have the family back home buy the spices and glaze and ship over in the next box. Then your main task is to locate a butcher with fresh pigs and place an order for the cut of meat you want. Take home and cure it properly and then you get what you are looking for.

• Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Was down at the reasonably new Metro Mall in Lapu x 2 this morning, just inside the main door to the right there is a deli/lunch bar, has a good selection of cured hams in a display cooler also cheeses and some Italian sausages, prices look ok, but never have eaten, one day will try them out, always seems to be people there so that usually is a good sign.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, frosty (chris) said:

always seems to be people there so that usually is a good sign.

I seen those same people going past in a hearse 2 days later. :shades:

• 3 months later...
StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you've got an oven and relatively large refrigerator, it is super easy to make your own really good ham. Local supermarket should have everything you need as far as spices are concerned, and then all you need is a good pork shoulder cut. Just as your butcher for the whole "pork steak" cut. I make this all the time and wife and kids just kill it. It does take 2 or 3 days to cure the meat in the ref, but it is really easy to do. Just PM me if you need some directions.

Edited by JeSsDaDdY
grammar nazis
  • Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JeSsDaDdY said:

If you've got an oven

Unfortunately no, certainly one thing I miss. :mellow:

• Like 3

roddavis
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JeSsDaDdY said:

If you've got an oven and relatively large refrigerator, it is super easy to make your own really good ham. Local supermarket should have everything you need as far as spices are concerned, and then all you need is a good pork shoulder cut. Just as your butcher for the whole "pork steak" cut. I make this all the time and wife and kids just kill it. It does take 2 or 3 days to cure the meat in the ref, but it is really easy to do. Just PM me if you need some directions.

I second that. i make my own ham in a brine solution with various spices. Store in fridge 3-5 days in brine. But i also use pickling salt(its the pink salt found in local stores they use for sausages, longinisa etc). Great ham steaks and ham sandwiches, yum! Very easy!

• Like 3

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Unfortunately no, certainly one thing I miss. :mellow:

You don't really need a full-sized oven. One of the larger counter top ovens will work fine. Because of the sauce business, I have a whole new kitchen (lol) but for the longest time I used a large counter top oven for everything. You can get one pretty cheap at an appliance store or one of the less-expensive department stores. Don't know if they have Gaisano or NCCC there, but they're usually the cheapest here in Mindanao.

• Like 1