Irish nurse facing 14 years in Philippines prison makes video appeal

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, earthdome said:

Sorry gratefuled but I really hate that statement. Governments around the world have created so many laws it is impossible to know all of the laws. Everyone is a criminal because with all of those laws everyone has committed crimes. Most of the time people are unaware they have broken the law. If someone in a position of government power wants to get you they can always find some crime you committed. Yet if you are a person with a great deal of government power the laws don't apply to you or your family.

I don't like it either but that's just the way things are.

Many do know they are breaking the law but just trying to get away with it. 

Kinda like someone killing another then claiming he/she was drunk or mentally insane to get a lighter sentence.

Laws are meant to protect people not to jail them.

Kinda like the helmet law for bikers and seat belt laws for motorists.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, earthdome said:

Governments around the world have created so many laws it is impossible to know all of the laws.

the thing is, if your moving, for what ever reason, to a place with a history of shaky government standards, it is incumbent upon the stranger to learn the laws, to paraphrase the saying "we didn't move to Kansas" IMHO if a guy is dumb enough to use a substance he didn't buy over the counter, whelp, enjoy the spacious jail cells:89:

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

It is a very harsh sentence for such a small amount of marihuana, but everyone knows what the likely outcome is if caught with drugs in Philippines, indeed many other Asian and foreign countries. Put you head in the noose and expect the consequences.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, earthdome said:

Governments around the world have created so many laws it is impossible to know all of the laws.

True but simple drug laws are in plain sight and if you use drugs common sense would say you check on the law in the country you are a guest in. 

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I wonder what would have happened to him in Singapore? Or Indonesia? I think he just doesn't respect the Philippines, probably still doesn't and won't until he is residing in a cell, and that is a shame. If someone is using illegal drugs, walk away. How much good can happen from sticking around?:smile:

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

I wonder what would have happened to him in Singapore? Or Indonesia? I think he just doesn't respect the Philippines, probably still doesn't and won't until he is residing in a cell, and that is a shame. If someone is using illegal drugs, walk away. How much good can happen from sticking around?:smile:

Bottom line, everyone knows drugs are illegal, end of story.

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

True but simple drug laws are in plain sight and if you use drugs common sense would say you check on the law in the country you are a guest in. 

I was commenting on the statement "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". Obviously the nurse should have known better regarding the laws on drugs, something that is illegal in most places, but not all.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I must admit when it comes to drugs I'm all for involuntary euthanasia. We can all get caught out with minor things and traditions but when you're talking drugs you'd have to be on them to not realise that different countries have different drug laws. The bare minimum in any country is to check out the drink, drug and weapons laws. They're the ones that tend to get you a new boyfriend in prison :nudie:

• Like 2