Day to day living

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 12/29/2016 at 4:51 PM, jpbago said:

I like the Gardenia High Fiber at 72p but there has been no stock for a week now so I been getting Mulungay buns at 2p each. Never seen the neu bake.

JP I like the Gardenia High Fiber Whole Wheat Raisin. At Hyper Market in Cebu I was told that for two weeks every year during Christmas and the new year only Gardenia brand white bread would be sold, and no other variety. Same response at other markets. That was a :89:mystery to me why that was so.. Kind of a drag.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

JP I like the Gardenia High Fiber Whole Wheat Raisin. At Hyper Market in Cebu I was told that for two weeks every year during Christmas and the new year only Gardenia brand white bread would be sold, and no other variety. Same response at other markets. That was a :89:mystery to me why that was so.. Kind of a drag.

It is because of the tradition to eat white bread and spaghetti at Christmas and New Year's. 12 round fruits, grapes above the archway, and many other traditions that keep the place in the 1700's. The long pasta is supposed to give them a long life, not sure what is symbolic about the white bread. I sometimes get the Gardenia Whole Wheat Raisin when the regular is o/s but I find it dry. My daughter got me a fresh loaf of the regular high fiber today at SM Bacolod. There are less slices per loaf and the slices are smaller than they used to be but the price is the same.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, jpbago said:

It is because of the tradition to eat white bread and spaghetti at Christmas and New Year's. 12 round fruits, grapes above the archway, and many other traditions that keep the place in the 1700's. The long pasta is supposed to give them a long life, not sure what is symbolic about the white bread. I sometimes get the Gardenia Whole Wheat Raisin when the regular is o/s but I find it dry. My daughter got me a fresh loaf of the regular high fiber today at SM Bacolod. There are less slices per loaf and the slices are smaller than they used to be but the price is the same.

It is rather dry but toasted it makes pretty decent cinnamon toast.:smile:

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

It is rather dry but toasted it makes pretty decent cinnamon toast

Just mix melted butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Spread liberally on high fiber and sip black brewed coffee.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 12/29/2016 at 4:50 PM, Eddie1 said:

Kev,  Is any brand selling a sugar free loaf yet (as you would buy in the UK), last time I was there I was trying to eat the Gardenia Wholemeal, supposedly less sugar, but still made me gag!  I ended up buying a sugar free baguette most days for downstairs in Lee Plaza.

At lee plaza they have premium loaf which tastes like low sugar to me Ed.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

We have a large bakery in the mall called Bakers Square, they do all the usual sweet, white and multi flavoured but they also do a fairly light wholemeal, unsweetened. It is a long loaf, 20 slices which is priced at P55. I prefer it to the Gardenia which I find dry. When I do my imm at Gensan I always pop into SM there and buy a few loaves of Rye bread, about P70 for a small but big slices and worth it. They also have other multi grain and seeded breads there too. I also buy the "home style mayonnaise" which I consider the best I have tasted here.

• Like 3

Indanao
Posted
Posted
On 12/27/2016 at 0:34 PM, stevewool said:

How much per hour

Good day, eh - from rainy Vancouver.

Are you seriously in the Philippines expecting $100per/hr. - I must have missed something.

That...has me worried, now. While I plan to most the work myself with maybe 3 hired workers, it was still my expectation to get Tradesmen for stairs and such for about $10 per day. Am I dreaming here?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Indanao said:

it was still my expectation to get Tradesmen for stairs and such for about $10 per day. Am I dreaming here?

Small contradiction in terms but These People seem to be a tradesman in Everything. Depending where you live  $10 is OTT for wages

Here on Negros daily wages are about 350 peso so $7 

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Indanao said:

Good day, eh - from rainy Vancouver.

55 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Here on Negros daily wages are about 350 peso so $7 

$10 CDN eh?

• Like 2