Fund for Chris49's wife and kids

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

As you probably read, Chris49 passed away today and has young kids.  I am looking into options to collect donations for the family.

I was looking at the popular Go Fund Me, and they have a memorial setup.  They take 5% from each donation and then their partner WePay (for the payment, I guess) takes 3% plus .30 per donation.  Around 8+%.  Is that fair?  Any experiences?

Still looking at others.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

As you probably read, Chris49 passed away today and has young kids.  I am looking into options to collect donations for the family.

I was looking at the popular Go Fund Me, and they have a memorial setup.  They take 5% from each donation and then their partner WePay (for the payment, I guess) takes 3% plus .30 per donation.  Around 8+%.  Is that fair?  Any experiences?

Still looking at others.

https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us/articles/203604294-GoFundMe-Guide-Fees-Pricing

Pretty bad them taking such a large cut.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I am sorry but i cannot help in doing any of this, but like i have said i am willing to give, is there someone who knows Chris and his family and are in contact with his partner now and  is a member of this forum who we could send a donation too.

We all have known Chris and i am sure if someone could come forward to help in this matter we all would welcome this, but agai it may be to much for one person,

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

I looked at several options in the crowd funding area.  They all charge 4-5% + the banking part from PayPal or Wepay.

Except this one

https://www.youcaring.com/

seems to be free except for the Paypal or WePay charges that are around 3%.  However, I don't see that this one has International options like the GoFund me.  I would have to do it as the organizer and then get the money to her.

I contacted Gina on FB and she does not have a bank account nor an ID for money transfers.  She said money would have to be sent to her mother via Western Union, as she has an ID.  She must have a bank account for the kids SS, but that would not be accessible.

If you guys trust me, I can set up the We Care account and I will figure out a way to get the money to Gina.  I am fairly certain my friends and family will help too.  If we raise a substantial amount, maybe I should trickle feed it?  I will make sure I give full visibility and accountability to the funds.

How much does Western Union charge?  I hate to keep adding charges to the whole process but that may be the only way unless I physically go up there.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I looked at several options in the crowd funding area.  They all charge 4-5% + the banking part from PayPal or Wepay.

Except this one

https://www.youcaring.com/

seems to be free except for the Paypal or WePay charges that are around 3%.  However, I don't see that this one has International options like the GoFund me.  I would have to do it as the organizer and then get the money to her.

I contacted Gina on FB and she does not have a bank account nor an ID for money transfers.  She said money would have to be sent to her mother via Western Union, as she has an ID.  She must have a bank account for the kids SS, but that would not be accessible.

If you guys trust me, I can set up the We Care account and I will figure out a way to get the money to Gina.  I am fairly certain my friends and family will help too.  If we raise a substantial amount, maybe I should trickle feed it?  I will make sure I give full visibility and accountability to the funds.

How much does Western Union charge?  I hate to keep adding charges to the whole process but that may be the only way unless I physically go up there.

Thoughts and suggestions?

If you have a paypal account it might be easier  if people sent to you as most have paypal or can use a card there without an account. When you received funds you could transfer to your bank and withdraw or use a service like worldremit to send to Ginas mother via m lhuillier or perhaps western union. Just a thought. 

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

If you have a paypal account it might be easier  if people sent to you as most have paypal or can use a card there without an account. When you received funds you could transfer to your bank and withdraw or use a service like worldremit to send to Ginas mother via m lhuillier or perhaps western union. Just a thought. 

Yes, I have a paypal account but I think it would be better to set up a separate one.

The site recommends WePay because making the donation is simple.  More people know about PayPal.

Here they compare WePay to Paypal:

https://help.youcaring.com/hc/en-us/articles/205316705-Why-does-YouCaring-recommend-WePay-

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately the percentages sound about right. I set up a fund for an old blind guy in Antique (I was helping the local PNP). GoFundMe got a cut, WePay got a cut, and then I had to pay fees to get the money transferred to the PIs (WU or Xoom, I forget now). By the time all the fees got taken it turned out to be a big chunk of the money.  There are cheaper ways, like using your own Paypal account but I opted to use the GoFundMe so I could keep it totally separate from my accounts and easily show accountability for where the money went. 

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I'm wondering if it would be possible for each who wanted to send directly if we could give out contact info safely.  It could be noted the donation was from a forum member.  Benefits would be the money would trickle in.  no fees, and ?  So thoughts?  Can it be done

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

All we would need is her name and cell number maybe her address.Then we could send by a remit company.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

All we would need is her name and cell number maybe her address.Then we could send by a remit company.

As it's been said Gina has no ID, only her mother so thats the info needed to do it this way. :thumbsup:

• Like 1