Reputable realtors

David B
Posted
Posted

I've always planned to leave the US when the right opportunity availed itself. I've continuously researched where, when and how. Happy coincidence to meet my Fili wife and consider a country that I had not previously. We're now in the market for a small home in the PI to have a place for our visits. PLEASE refer any reputable realtors in the Iloilo area, as the listings online are practically useless.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, David B said:

I've always planned to leave the US when the right opportunity availed itself. I've continuously researched where, when and how. Happy coincidence to meet my Fili wife and consider a country that I had not previously. We're now in the market for a small home in the PI to have a place for our visits. PLEASE refer any reputable realtors in the Iloilo area, as the listings online are practically useless.

The online listings are aimed at OFWs and foreigners - both seen as "rich". Only good way I have found a place is boots on the ground. But all the new construction I have seen, here in Iloilo, is prohibitively expensive, crappy construction, and tiny.  That is why we decided to build (but then we built tiny ha ha).

• Like 4

David B
Posted
Posted

By practically useless I mean that they withhold information to make you contact them but they don't acknowledge or reply to your inquiry. My use for a realtor is to be my boots on the ground. That's their value and how they earn the money. None has yet to respond to an indication of interest. Ergo, I would like to find one who wants to earn a sale. 

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, David B said:

but they don't acknowledge or reply to your inquiry.

That is common with most all businesses here.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, David B said:

By practically useless I mean that they withhold information to make you contact them but they don't acknowledge or reply to your inquiry. My use for a realtor is to be my boots on the ground. That's their value and how they earn the money. None has yet to respond to an indication of interest. Ergo, I would like to find one who wants to earn a sale. 

David,  We had this same issue when we were planing our move last April.  After too many attempts, I finally got one of those realitors to respond only to tell me,"Sorry Sir that place was already rented several months ago".  Although we were moving in about a month, she said not to worry, we can find you a place after you arrive.  So this is what I have learned.  In general, very few people or companies here use or even respond to emails and calls.  Text and facebook are king here.  There is no multi-listing here like in the US.  And if you want to live in a secure subdivision, you cannot drive in and look around without an agent.  Very funny is there are several homes in my subdivision with signs "FOR RENT".  Who is going to see them?  Other homeowners or renters already living there.  Some of these signs have been here since April when we moved and the homes are still vacant! So you will find one agent with listing in one subdivision and not know there are several other listings in the same subdivision by other agents!  It would be best to get a hotel room in the area you plan to rent while searching for a rental.  Also know where you might want to live before hand or at least what you want or don't want to live near.  Find several agents who do not know each other and show you their listings.  Usually you may only be able to see 2-3 places a day, if your lucky.  Take your time and take notes on the available properties.  Good luck,...I have said before if someone wants to start a company, Multi listings would be a good one.

• Like 2

David B
Posted
Posted

MLS, multi listing is a transparent, full-disclosure service serving as it's own marketing.  The PI method is primitive in it's use of a listing, be it expired or fictional to generate indications of interest.  As such they should mine those indications. I take your advice as the reality we must deal with but you may be able to refer me to a realtor or away from one. We are using family there also to scout properties and agents. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

One problem with using an agent to find a property to buy or rent is that no one gets exclusive listings.  That means you may make a deal with either the owner or any one of a number of agents who know that property is for sale/rent and the deal is not binding until you actually get your ass in the front door and your furniture in the place and the keys in your pocket.

My experience:  I had a confirmed deal with the owner of the property and showed up to pay her the cash deposit and she said:  "Sorry, that deal was too cheap.  When this other foreigner heard I was renting it for only 10K pesos a month his wife came quickly and gave me 3 months at 15K per month so I will rent it to them . . .  unless you think it is still too cheap and you want to offer more.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103): "

The landlady was not giving me a bullchit story as I got to know the other foreigner and his wife who stole the place out from under me and they confirmed the story, although they did say they "did not know the landlady had already made a deal" after they found out I was the one they screwed over.

There are many, many similar stories out there and I could tell quite a few of them.  You have only to listen to some of these stories to understand the scope of dishonesty in real estate buying and renting in Philippines.  So when someone recommends an "honest" real estate agent to you then you must realize that the most honest ones can only be as true as the client they represent.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

A big problem with real estate agents here is that everyone, and their dog, seems to be an "agent".  You never know who you are dealing with or who you need to deal with.  The only way I have found rentals was through word of mouth and then dealing directly with the owner. I avoid the vultures at the mall like the plague that they are.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

A big problem with real estate agents here is that everyone, and their dog, seems to be an "agent".  You never know who you are dealing with or who you need to deal with.  The only way I have found rentals was through word of mouth and then dealing directly with the owner. I avoid the vultures at the mall like the plague that they are.

There was three people involved when we bought our house. An agent who had absolutely nothing to do with the sale, a hawker who had told our nephew about the house, and our nephew who was the one that showed us the house twice. All three followed us around from the time of the verbal agreement up until we signed the papers to make sure that they all shared the 5% commission.

The 1st deal  on another house fell through when the seller raised the price after we had made a verbal deal and shook hands.

The 2nd deal on another house fell through when the seller told us that he now did not want to sell the house but we see someone else living there now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 1/11/2017 at 9:41 AM, David B said:

I think Tim was answering your question.  He has been in the area for a long time and knows the 'lay of the land'.  My experience trying to communicate with so called 'Realtors' in Philippines confirms his views.

A thought I had was that perhaps you could talk with forum members who may have time on their hands that are prepared to spend some time (duly compensated) to seek out properties, obtain details and photographs and send to you with their overview?  If I was in Phils, I would gladly do it, to help give me something to fill in my day.

I am getting my SO's cousin to do just that in a few months time, when we are preparing for our move in July 17.

Just a thought.

Edited by mogo51
  • Like 1