Shingles Treatment

David B
Posted
Posted

Having had Chicken Pox but not Shingles, what would be the likely prognosis should one come down with Shingles in the PI?

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I've had shingles twice, very unpleasant, I think I just had to put up with it. It was a long time ago both times, first time was on my scalp, felt like somebody jabbing needles into my head, lasted about a week.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Google is your favorite feature for a question like that. I suggest you do a quick read. Not trying to be difficult Dave but be informed first.

If you have specific questions I have Shingles and would share what I know with you. You can ask in the forum or PM me.

It's common, those with the virus 1 in 3 average have outbreaks. Prognosis same,  location has no affect.

• Like 1

David B
Posted
Posted

Has anyone experienced shingles while in the PI and if so how was the treatment. I'm in perfect health but I was just wondering what I might expect if this were to happen to me there. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Dave. There was a reason I wanted you to go to webmd or other sites first. There are other virtual conditions like Shingles a Doctor would need to diognose symptoms. Some cases like mine are minor but treatments don't help 100% other cases can be severe it's not so simple. 

A Filipino Doctor could treat you. Finding the vaccine should be ready available. The vaccine is expensive here in the States I was told $300.00 if no insurance.

Yes, I've expected Shingles while in Cebu early last year.

Treatment, is twofold. There is no current cure however Shingles vaccine is helpful in most cases even if after outbreaks. The second treatment are antiviral meds. This is done in two ways a large dose over five days may prevent or stop outbreaks if that doesn't work a small daily dose in most cases reduced or eliminates breakouts. My sister in law said "they" treat Shingles at Cebu Doctors Hospital. She was an RN there some years ago.

Because the hot humid climate I put an antibiotic ointment on it to prevent an infection. I asked at Mercury Drug don't recall what she gave me. 

• Like 2