Frustrations of Thailand

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

The feeling of 'persona non gratia' is rising ever large in this country

I have read that from others who have been living in Thailand and playing online poker. They are moving to Cambodia, Manila, and Vietnam.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What is the root cause do you think? Nationalist extremism or?

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Not only is the form shorter now, the ladies in Gensan give me the form for next time to fill in before I arrive, last time I was in and out in 8 minutes. I have also noticed that the past 3 extensions have been P400 cheaper than my first year here!

• Like 4

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I experienced and heard the same about Thailand. Immigration officers at the airport are often shockingly rude and unprofessional, much better here. I think they have a clear policy to only allow in well-heeled tourists for short amounts of time and discourage expats to live and work in the country, similar to China, with which coincidentally they share ever cozier bonds. In that regard the Phils are much easier to deal with from my limited experience.

But there are also clear drawbacks compared to Thailand. Renting, banking, services, retail, just about everything is much less developed here and often more expensive. Housing more expensive/quality much lower, food no comparison, much more poverty and associated problems, crime, lack of professionalism even compared to Thailand, underdeveloped transportation system and infrastructure in general... I think if Thailand made it easier to live there and English was more widely spoken few people would really consider the Philippines. You can live a real lavish, luxurious life in Thailand, or easily get by with 500 USD/m outside of Bangkok, both things are more difficult in the Philippines.  

Those are all rather objective criteria, at the end of the day some people just feel more comfortable in one culture or the other, so you might love or hate it, really depends on the person. 

Edited by afathertobe
  • Like 2

barryneves
Posted
Posted

Agree with the above poster 100 percent! I lived in Thailand for around 7 years and have just clocked up my 12th here in the Phils. TRhat speaks volumes. And I used to dread visits to the Thai immigration for all the reasons mentioned above. Although bureaucracy here can also be frustrating I find it pales into insignificance when compared with dealing with Thai government officials.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, jpbago said:

I have read that from others who have been living in Thailand and playing online poker. They are moving to Cambodia, Manila, and Vietnam.

In large numbers, including those who have been in Thailand for many years.

• Like 3