Hope they don't shoot me for it...

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

Pull the God card - you know, God created these beautiful little creatures the same as he created us. It's a sin to be cruel to them....blah, blah, blah. It still may not be too late for that. 

Don't know if your wife's Catholic, but Catholic guilt ...... she and her entire family would have run to church begging forgiveness at confession. Would've made them feel better and given the little a chick a break. 

Personally I would have thrown a few pesos down on the table as payment, taken the bird with me and, as I was leaving, pointed towards heaven and said "He is watching and may His wrath be upon you!"  

The looks on their faces would've been priceless. 

This was my thought as well.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I tried some of the "dominion over the animals" does not mean torture, it means to protect... but my wife sticks with "not your animal - not your business". The only one mad is my wife, because  I embarrassed her in front of her family and guests. In the US we are taught that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Here they are taught that the nail that stands out gets hammered. I know it is best to overlook as much as you can here. Usually I am ok with that attitude but there seem to be limits (who knew?).

I realize I will not change anyone and really don't try to. I figured there were 2 possible outcomes: 1. the fathers get drunk, get mad, and shoot me. 2. the fathers get drunk and laugh about the crazy foreigner.  Most likely the latter... ha ha

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

They say, " ignorance breeds ignorance"

I do not believe in cruelty to animals either. 

I;m an animal lover. 

We have 5 kittens (2 months old) 2 female cats and one teenage  female cat that will be spayed soon.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Animals have it pretty rough here. Look at the mangy dogs and cats on the street with broken legs and fur missing. A zoo opened up here recently and it is disgusting the way they have the animals in such small cages like a monkey in a 4 foot square cage with no toys or anything to do, and a tiger in a 6 foot cage. They just don't understand that animals need stimulation. I would watch the monkeys in a Costa Rica zoo for hours while they do their things in a large fully equipped pen. Here it just turns in a tight circle all day.

I think that you embarrassed your wife in front of her family. I might have just left the party and then explained to her in private. We are supposed to kiss ass so they can save face.

• Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted

It's like that all over the place, with animals. In my experience for the most part only rich Western countries treat them as if they were human. They are even shutting down killer whale shows at theme parks these days.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are animal lovers here.  Many people around us have purebred dogs that are well taken care of and spoiled too.

1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I realize I will not change anyone

I disagree.  You planted a seed.  If one kid / person thinks twice about it next time, you did good.

I don't believe that all cultural things will never change.  It takes a long time.  A lot of seeds planted.  As the Philippines continues to evolve and grow the middle class, things will change.  The internet exposes many people to different ideas, even the poorer people.  It will take years, maybe 20, 50, 100?  Think about some of the things that were acceptable to our western society 50 or 100 years ago. 

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 5

Bruce
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

My wife came home about 5 minutes later very mad at me

Again! The mantra is to LEASE... not to BUY! Repeat as needed until this gets through your collective heads! Basic marketing! WHO is in short supply? WHO commands a premium level of attention? Life is too short to be married to a bad attitude. This is not JR High! :bash: Stop tripping over your feet around women.

Protecting animals is a good thing. Next time one of the kids has their 3rd appendicitis or needs another kidney transplant, tell the wife you gave all your money to the Sally Struthers Save The Chickens Foundation.

Speaking of saving the chickens.... do you guys have any idea what Col. Saunders / KFC does to chickens? Well... neither do I... but they sure taste good!  :hystery:  

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Stop tripping over your feet around women.

I don't put up with her attitude. She tried to scold me for embarrassing her and I told it was her own damn fault. I gave her a chance to handle and she chose not to. So I handled it. Next time she should think about it more. She is still mad because I won't back down. Now that I am laughing at her for it... it ain't helping ha ha

In retrospect I could have gone to the aunt (the only mature one around) and asked her to deal with it. She would have. Not because the kids were wrong, but because I was upset. Such is life.  :tiphat:

• Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I'm all for protecting our four legged friends.

o93DXYV.jpg

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Things to do tomorrow: Look for another place to live! Hours away from 'the family'....

• Like 4