Maid, nannies, helpers; How to find a good one?

RBM
Posted
Posted

Finding a good maid reminds me of the needle in....

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

It has taken us 5 years to get a good One, We are learning with the failings of each we have had. We find that you can read between the lines of these Ladies. Just now we have a 27 year old from a fair way off. 2 kids both at school and a husband that is in Work with the Town Mayor as a Driver/Handy man. She was there also for 6 months but she was last in and First out when the Mayors campaign faltered at election time and he thought he may not get returned, He did but it was too late, she had another Job. However that did not last Long ( 5 months) as the Employer came on to her and she just walked out. Perchance we needed one and we invited her to come and see us.

She has been here now 6 weeks and loving it she tells us. I am Happy and the Stress has gone. I just hope it lasts. She only wants to go home once a month and her Mother and Aunt deal with the kids. The Husband is Busy so they would see little of Each other if it were any different. All around just now, Jack is a Happy Chappy. 

Edited by Jack Peterson
grammar
  • Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, RBM said:

We have known a few that worked for friends or neighbors, who were like gold!  We wanted to steal them!

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, RBM said:

Needle in the Eurasian continent? I mean a single particular needle?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

A good maid depends upon the boss.  If you know how to supervise people to get the best performance out of them then you can find lots of good ones.  Most of us don't want to be bothered.  We want a maid who will self motivate, self teach, know what we want and get it done.  VERY rare, those ones.

EDIT:  Extremely rare in the under 25 age group but I had some luck in the past with the over 35 age group.  Still you have to find someone who has years of experience and is good at what they do.

Filipinos have good maids because they often dominate them to the point of almost abuse and the poor girls are frightened to not do a good job.  German employers are good at that too.  Perhaps that is their culture or perhaps its just the dominating Germans I have met here.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

VERY rare, those ones.

I think I found her Bye George I really do :huh:

• Like 3

snowridr
Posted
Posted

If you are working for a company here, have you considered asking with any co-workers?  A lot of things here seems to be who you know situations.  We were able to find our housekeeper this way (our expat forum) - she had worked for another employee for nine years and was looking for another family to work for.

Also, our housekeeper is 62 but that has been no impediment to her ability get things done.  I'm sure we ended up paying more for her services, but it certainly worth not having to teach someone how to do their job and worry about their trustworthiness. 

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We don't have a maid in our house. I live with 4 ladies (my wife, our 19 and 20 year old daughters, and MIL) so if they cannot look after the house, then I must be in the wrong house.

Many people have problems with maids, even some serious problems that makes the Panay local news.

• Like 5