Maid, nannies, helpers; How to find a good one?

Jake
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, TimL said:

Thank you very much Jake and OMW!  Makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought about from that perspective. I appreciate the clarification. 

You're welcome young grasshoppa!

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

popping by "to visit" on her lunch break (read that come eat our food).

Which reminds me Dave, are there any visitor restrictions at the Freeport maingate OMW?  I mean, can I pop in and visit my 11 month pregnant GF and have another quicky?  And also drink your beer.......

• Like 2

snowridr
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Steve GCC said:

Just wondering what you are all paying your maid/helper/house boy a month?  Am familiar with builders building the house at moment but no idea on the domestics front....................but am sure the day will come..

It depends on where you live - I'm near Alabang so it is pricey in comparison to other places.  Best to ask the people around you where you plan to live - this way you don't cause any trouble by paying someone too high or too low in comparison to the neighborhood without justification. 

Our housekeeper is live in - she gets 12k a month, 1 day off per week plus holidays (We let her leave after lunch on Saturdays after everything is taken care of so she can get up to Manila)  We don't pay for her food or loads.  

Daily help or drivers/gardeners cost about 500 in our subdivision.  

She does get more than other helpers around here but I don't think it's a huge amount more, plus she has 30 years exp. with expat families, and her last assignment was for 9 years and excellent.  You want long term employability and trustworthiness. Don't settle on the cheapest offers you find, IMHO.

Edited by snowridr
/week
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Jake said:

Which reminds me Dave, are there any visitor restrictions at the Freeport maingate OMW?  I mean, can I pop in and visit my 11 month pregnant GF and have another quicky?  And also drink your beer.......

I think there is a permanent blacklist that dates back to the 70's.  I'm sure you are on it.  Otherwise, anyone can get in.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Having read this, I thought I was reading a Thai forum!  It is exactly the same here - does the buffalo getting sick also enter into 'reasons' there????

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, mogo51 said:

does the buffalo getting sick also enter into 'reasons' there????

Here it is the carabao . . but you got the right idea

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

Here in Davao I'm paying P3k a month (live-in) plus a monthly load (promo only).  My katabung is just 19 but she's done the job before in her hometown 2 hours away and she's very good at it.  Now that my fiance has just 6 months left on her contract and will be moving in / moving with me then, I'm not sure if my katabung will want to stay but the option is there for her.

FYI: any young (as in younger than me...  Hehe) single guys near Davao through to Compostela Valley want to meet her...  But a warning first - she's like a daughter to me so you better be nice!  :morning1:

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
snowridr
Posted
Posted

I was talking to a neighbor in my subdivision, and she said the going rate in Alabang (south side of Manila Metro) for a live-in was around 6k a month, and that it was less expensive due to a larger labor pool to select from than down here in Laguna (you have to travel and fight the SLEX if you want to commute to work) 

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 2/10/2017 at 11:09 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Here it is the carabao . . but you got the right idea

Or any other animal you could mention,rooster,goat etc.