Maid, nannies, helpers; How to find a good one?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

So since this thread is revived, I just reread it, and I will update our situation.

A few weeks after I made the OP, our yard / handyman guy says his cousin is looking for work.  We really like him so we said bring her over.  A local who lives a few jeep routes away.

We thought she knew that we were looking for live-in but when she came over she said she needed to be home at night.  she has 3 kids, only 1 12 year old at home.  She really likes our kids and she speaks Visayan like my wife, so they kinda hit it off.   We decided to try her for 2 days a week stay out, at only p350 a day.  Going rate for stay out is more like p500 around here.

Her work has been good and my wife enjoys her company.  However, as mentioned here several times, she has a problem making it to work!  Sick, daughter's birthday, etc.  We don't have any farm animals around this area but if we did, I'm sure they would be sick too and they would be her relatives.

After missing last Friday, she said she would come today, Monday.  She shows up.  20 minutes later, she is leaving.  She explained to my wife that there were two wakes this week in her family and she has to help.  She said she came over because she thought we would be mad if she just texted again.

So my wife decided that was enough.  It is really strange in that it seems like she really doesn't need the money, yet she said her husband just lost his jeep driver job.  You would think that earning some money would be the most important thing right now, but no, those other things override working.

So we are hunting again.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Going rate for stay out is more like p500 around here.

I'm going to put my live in partner to work at that rate.  Wonder if she can get that in Dumaguete.  Is that for a standard 8 hour day?

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I'm going to put my live in partner to work at that rate.  Wonder if she can get that in Dumaguete.  Is that for a standard 8 hour day?

When I was living at Hermogina they sent their cleaner over for p350/day once a week. So p350/day would be high here I suppose since I was paying the apartment rate.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

So my wife decided that was enough.  It is really strange in that it seems like she really doesn't need the money, yet she said her husband just lost his jeep driver job.  You would think that earning some money would be the most important thing right now, but no, those other things override working.

Good luck in your ongoing search OMW.  We've had that same situation at times with people who come to do a job for us. No real means of support, but still reluctant to do the work, even though it wasn't very difficult or challenging. Maybe because a couple were distant relatives...

jpbago
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

my live in partner

Would she be "Z", the one after "Y"?

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Would she be "Z", the one after "Y"?

You are making the rational assumption that they come in alphabetical order. Sometimes they are all over the alphabetical map, like Y N D L M I  . . . still single :-)  (Say it out loud)

• Like 2

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jpbago said:

Edited by Dr. Shiva
Strange cross quoting from other thread

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes, 8 hour day, 8 to 5ish. 

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
On 3/28/2017 at 5:29 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

You are making the rational assumption that they come in alphabetical order. Sometimes they are all over the alphabetical map, like Y N D L M I  . . . still single :-)  (Say it out loud)

OK, I was wrong again, I had assumed that with the next one, after "Z", then both you and Jack would have an "A". 

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

OK, I was wrong again, I had assumed that with the next one, after "Z", then both you and Jack would have an "A". 

I believe BethanyJane is next... :6:

• Like 1