Stroke Last Night

banyanman
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I read after I had my Stroke that hereditary health can play a big part, my father Died of a Stroke but he was the Only one in the family as far as I know

So do you think it can be hereditary to have HC?

Absolutely! All my family on my father's side have had high cholesterol and none of us have been able to bring it down to what doctors consider a 'safe' level through diet and exercise.  I know because I tried for many years eating as low fat/low cholesterol a diet as a man can possibly bear, and going to the gym every alternate day - all to avoid going onto statins (because I don't like taking any type of medication). But eventually I had to relent because I have severe atherosclerosis placing me in the very high risk category for heart attack and/or stroke. Now I am on a high dose of Crestor which has brought the cholesterol levels down to the 'satisfactory' range. Every doctor that I consulted said my high cholesterol was hereditary, and that's why I couldn't reduce it through diet and exercise. (Fortunately for me I don't seem to be suffering any severe side effects from the high statin dose - sometimes I feel fatigued, but that's more likely due to advancing age and the atherosclerosis).

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Avocados and grapefruit have qualities which are a alternative for high blood pressure and cholesterol, however must be said while taking prescribe medicines you should be aware that the two don't mix.

• Like 1