10,000 foreigners were denied entry

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

So are they saying that a foreigner could get help if they lacked the capacity to support themselves? I could not see the goverment providing any assistance. :89:

Almost 10,000 foreigners were denied entry to Philippines in 2016

Close to 10,000 foreigners were not allowed by the Bureau of Immigration (BI) to enter the country last year as part of the agency’s intensified efforts to strengthen border security and thwart the entry of undesirable aliens. Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente said a total of 9,738 foreign nationals were denied entry to the country, which is 45 percent higher than those who were turned away in 2015.

Chinese nationals topped the list with 2,034, followed by 269 Indians, 179 Vietnamese, 163 Americans, and 119 Indoensians.

The bulk of the excluded foreigners were intercepted at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), while a few were turned away in the other international airports such as Mactan, Clark, Kalibo, Iloilo, and Davao.

Morente said the fact that the BI was able to stop these unwanted aliens from entering our borders is proof of the agency’s continued vigilance in the discharge of their mandate as gatekeepers of the country.

Morente noted that most of them were denied entry after they were identified as likely to become public charges or those who are likely to become primarily dependent on the government for subsistence due to their lack of capacity to support their stay in the country, thus making them added burden to society.

A foreigner may also be refused admission if based on the immigration officer’s assessment, his presence here is considered inimical to the national interest or a threat to public health and safety.

On the other hand, Marc Red Marinas, acting BI port operations division chief noted that those who were not allowed entry in the country also included foreigners who are in their blacklist of undesirable aliens such as fugitives, suspected terrorists, and convicted sex offenders.

“We also turned away foreign passengers who did not have entry visas and those who failed to procure outbound tickets which is a basic requirement for foreign tourists,” he added.

http://www.update.ph/2017/01/almost-10000-foreigners-were-denied-entry-to-philippines-in-2016/13640

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I'm always curious about how these potential foreigners are identified. I guess there are some background checks, and immigration officers can eyeball obvious folks, but looks can be deceiving. There are so many pedophiles and abusers in the news here, in particular, the notorious Peter Scully. It's said that he'll be the first to hang if the death penalty comes back. 

There's a special place in hell for him and his Filipina girlfriend I'm sure.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

the notorious Peter Scully.

I amazed at how this guy has escaped the wrath of the PI for so long

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I wonder how many simply didn't have an onward ticket? I've heard people say that they wouldn't get one because they were not asked for the onward ticket last time.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, robert k said:

I wonder how many simply didn't have an onward ticket? I've heard people say that they wouldn't get one because they were not asked for the onward ticket last time.

We have discussed this Soooo many times, It is a basic Requirement of the Tourist entry, yet I fail to see why they were allowed to Board at their Departure Airport So many just try it on and now It has been tightened up it will make people think On :89:

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

We have discussed this Soooo many times, It is a basic Requirement of the Tourist entry, yet I fail to see why they were allowed to Board at their Departure Airport So many just try it on and now It has been tightened up it will make people think On :89:

Jack, we are probably talking about a tenth of a % that show up without an onward ticket, that is a pretty good track record for the airlines. Much better than some others I could think of. I started to say I wish government were that effective then I paused for thought.... and decided that would be a mixed bag.:hystery:

• Like 2

DavidK
Posted
Posted

It is a nonsense though. I currently have a Balikbayan stamp in my passport which allows me to stay until this time next year. However when I go to play golf in Vietnam in April (without the wife) and return I will become a "Tourist" again. As such and despite having a stamp "valid" until January 2018 I will get the standard month and be expected to have an onward ticket. Said ticket can be to anywhere, for any date and no one will ever check if it's used or not.

A simple examination of my passport will show that I'm a long term resident here and the Balikbayan stamp evidences that I'm married to a Filipina. However needs must when the Devil drives............ 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, DavidK said:

It is a nonsense though. I currently have a Balikbayan stamp in my passport which allows me to stay until this time next year. However when I go to play golf in Vietnam in April (without the wife) and return I will become a "Tourist" again. As such and despite having a stamp "valid" until January 2018 I will get the standard month and be expected to have an onward ticket. Said ticket can be to anywhere, for any date and no one will ever check if it's used or not.

A simple examination of my passport will show that I'm a long term resident here and the Balikbayan stamp evidences that I'm married to a Filipina. However needs must when the Devil drives............ 

I don't quite believe it is nonsense. The Balikbayan is a courtesy? If you wanted a multiple entry visa you could apply and pay for one? I wouldn't complain about the Balikbayan because they did not have to offer it to begin with. I can't believe there are many countries that grant a year free as a bird if you enter with your citizen spouse.

• Like 4

DavidK
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, robert k said:

I don't quite believe it is nonsense. The Balikbayan is a courtesy? If you wanted a multiple entry visa you could apply and pay for one? I wouldn't complain about the Balikbayan because they did not have to offer it to begin with. I can't believe there are many countries that grant a year free as a bird if you enter with your citizen spouse.

A. I am not complaining about the Balikbayan. It is indeed a courtesy and very kind that they offer it.

B. The onward flight though is a nonsense. I have heard of a least one person who books said flight, prints the itinerary to show to the check-in counter and customs and then promptly cancels the booking.

C. I am not aware there was a multi-entry visa easily available, if so I would get it. I am aware I could get a 13A or even a retirement visa however it has not been convenient to do so at the present time, my bad I guess.

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, DavidK said:

A. I am not complaining about the Balikbayan. It is indeed a courtesy and very kind that they offer it.

B. The onward flight though is a nonsense. I have heard of a least one person who books said flight, prints the itinerary to show to the check-in counter and customs and then promptly cancels the booking.

C. I am not aware there was a multi-entry visa easily available, if so I would get it. I am aware I could get a 13A or even a retirement visa however it has not been convenient to do so at the present time, my bad I guess.

Have heard of similar situations where it can be possible with a smile and explanation the officer may renew your stamp. Would how ever have the outward ticket just in case.

• Like 2