Moving to PH in under a year, help!

Mrubiquitous
Posted
Posted

My goal is to move to the Philippines to be with my lady and work overseas while earning income from the states. I plan on living in the Roxas City area. My question is...(drum roll) is there a basic checklist of things to do to prepare for this journey. Passports, immunizations, visas included. Anything anyone wished they did or got hung up on because they didn't do would help immensely as well.  New to forum btw! Thanks! (Salamat Po!) MrUbiquitous

• Like 5

Nephi
Posted
Posted

Howdy and welcome,

A passport that is valid for at least 6 months past your trip is all that is needed. Immunizations are not required. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you are going to be with and or marry someone you have not met yet. Read all you can here and on other sites as well about marrying a Filipina and take what you read to heart. Also be very sure to take at least two or more trips here staying as long as possible. This aint Kansas and often times people decide that a underdeveloped 3rd world country is far more than they can stand for living. At the US Embassy site, read all current and past Travel Warnings and take them to heart.

Best Of Luck..

• Like 5

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mrubiquitous said:

My goal is to move to the Philippines to be with my lady and work overseas while earning income from the states. I plan on living in the Roxas City area. My question is...(drum roll) is there a basic checklist of things to do to prepare for this journey. Passports, immunizations, visas included. Anything anyone wished they did or got hung up on because they didn't do would help immensely as well.  New to forum btw! Thanks! (Salamat Po!) MrUbiquitous

:welcome-group:. There is a mountain of info on here to help you, I would suggest you spend a little time reading, if you want to know something specific just ask some one will point you in the right direction. Good luck with you future plans.

• Like 5

RBM
Posted
Posted

And don't forget to bring a big bucket of patience.

• Like 5

Mrubiquitous
Posted
Posted

I appreciate the words of wisdom! Yes a filipina I am interested in, but i always wanted to move to SE asia anyway, a bit of a risk taker I am. ;)  I understand culture shock is imminent, I will be doing most of my business online, how are the wifi/internet connections and are they reasonable from a residence? As much as I love to be a patriot, there is too much of the world to see to live in one country for a whole lifetime. I look forward to meeting you all in person one day. Be well! 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

The quality and cost of internet is going to depend greatly on where you live.

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the Forum,

And as members have said so far The internet here is not very good unless you live where there 

is a fibre service which is mainly in Makati and high end Residential areas.

we pay for up to 2mbps and get on average 2.60mbps

Culture shock when you first arrive  ! And be very wary of the Baggage checkers etc at the Airport

wanting payment for letting you exit the Airport !just an intro to the kind of thing you can expect!

dont get me wrong I have been here since 2011, and I love it here luckily my wife is genuine and so

is her family ! but beware some of the stories about expats and the laws here can be very upsetting.

Have a look on you tube and you can see most things about the Philippines both good and bad.

hope you enjoy your time here.

any advice you need just ask all the guys and gals here are very friendly and helpful !

good luck

• Like 4

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum. Evaluate the advice given, it is priceless, take your time and try a few visits first. When visiting try and put yourself in the mindset of an expat, not a tourist, harder than you think. Especially if it is your first time to dip your toe in this part of the world. Good luck, hope all goes well, it can!

• Like 4

Mrubiquitous
Posted
Posted

I appreciate all the comments so far. I plan on giving my relationship with this lady a "honeymoon" period where we get to know one another on a personal level as would a normal couple. We have been chatting daily for 8 months sometimes for hours, pretty confident, but I have been known to over-judge my reasoning abilities. lol. I will hopefully be working from home, skype or clear VoiP essential, also video if possible. That was my main concern. I see apartments in the city for 10k PHP month ($200 USD). Working with USA currency, this should not be a problem. I take your kind wisdom and guidance into account. Thanks!