Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

what is the cost of that Tom?

1599 peso a month, unlimited and including sky TV. That's in Cebu

Mrubiquitous
Posted
Posted

Ok sky sounds good. I dont need particularly streaming video but at least the ability to upload video as needed. Or skype even better. I have looked a bit into Global wireless, a common carrier there I guess. I am sure you all know more about it than me. but 8mbs is a pretty good rate. Possibly more than I need. God knows no one needs to see anyone in high def..lol

Nephi
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mrubiquitous said:

Ok sky sounds good. I dont need particularly streaming video but at least the ability to upload video as needed. Or skype even better. I have looked a bit into Global wireless, a common carrier there I guess. I am sure you all know more about it than me. but 8mbs is a pretty good rate. Possibly more than I need. God knows no one needs to see anyone in high def..lol

Globe, Smart, Comclark, PLDT and others all have promos from time to time and all advertise the speed you can get with their company. Problem is in the wording of the (2 year contract) you must sign. Whatever package you choose with any company it will state that you can get up to whatever mps you signed up for. In reality you will not get close to what you are paying for. On top of that, internet here anywhere in country is grossly unreliable. It can go out days for no reason at all and be off for days without a logical explanation and customer service does not exist. What many people do is to get service through two companies to help insure there is at least some internet available most of the time. That or get service with a satellite ISP out of the country. Another continual issue will also be power outages. It will be an interesting adjustment living here but there are positives to help make up for the lunacy that prevails in most aspects of life.

• Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Nephi said:

Problem is in the wording of the (2 year contract) you must sign

If you make any change at all, even the slightest, then you are in a new 2 year contract with penalties if you decide to cancel or change to a different provider.

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 2/1/2017 at 10:46 AM, Mrubiquitous said:

My goal is to move to the Philippines to be with my lady and work overseas while earning income from the states. I plan on living in the Roxas City area. My question is...(drum roll) is there a basic checklist of things to do to prepare for this journey. Passports, immunizations, visas included. Anything anyone wished they did or got hung up on because they didn't do would help immensely as well.  New to forum btw! Thanks! (Salamat Po!) MrUbiquitous

Hey man, I notice you're in Florida. You can make plans and checklists, but as one wise general once said, no plan survives contact with the enemy.

Wishing you the best anyway...REBOOT

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Mrubiquitous said:

There are many providers. Which one works best for you depends on the quality of service for that provider where you are living and in the immediate area if you use wireless. If using wireless verify the speed at the actual apartment or house where you will live. Coverage can vary. For example I decided to go with a SMART unlimited wireless data plan. Then I used my smart phone as a hotspot tether for my laptop. Worked awesome. Then I relocated and the data rate was terrible at my new location. So I got DSL at my new apartment. A 1.5Mbs plan that worked as advertised and only had a few hour long outages the almost 2 years I used their service. (They have higher speed plans) This was Bayan Tel in Baguio. Sky Internet was not an option at my apartment building. I could get Sky CATV but they did not provide internet in my area.

• Like 1

snowridr
Posted
Posted

We have Sky's 50mbs internet (which is new here for Binan) and everytime we have checked it on speedtest, we are getting about 45Mbs - service has been much better than I feared reading stuff here last year before we moved.  We may just drop it down to a lower speed since the reliablity has been very good (its gone out 2 times for more than an hour or two in seven months.)  We pay 2899 php monthly IIRC - no cable tv since we did not buy a tv yet.

• Like 1

Mrubiquitous
Posted
Posted
On 2/14/2017 at 8:56 PM, Reboot said:

Hey man, I notice you're in Florida. You can make plans and checklists, but as one wise general once said, no plan survives contact with the enemy.

Wishing you the best anyway...REBOOT

Yessir! Orlando to be precise! You seem to be back home with your missus...why did you leave or do you winter from the harsh Florida winter climate to PH? lol Realizing life happens as I make other plans...I always like a "heads up" to be able to figure out possible scenarios...and workarounds.

Mrubiquitous
Posted
Posted
On 2/15/2017 at 11:01 AM, earthdome said:

There are many providers. Which one works best for you depends on the quality of service for that provider where you are living and in the immediate area if you use wireless. If using wireless verify the speed at the actual apartment or house where you will live. Coverage can vary. For example I decided to go with a SMART unlimited wireless data plan. Then I used my smart phone as a hotspot tether for my laptop. Worked awesome. Then I relocated and the data rate was terrible at my new location. So I got DSL at my new apartment. A 1.5Mbs plan that worked as advertised and only had a few hour long outages the almost 2 years I used their service. (They have higher speed plans) This was Bayan Tel in Baguio. Sky Internet was not an option at my apartment building. I could get Sky CATV but they did not provide internet in my area.

Thank you all for your information! I will be all inclusive with the thanks as not to eat up reading space with "fluff" lol. It seems the internet is not too different from here..stated vs. actual speeds/thoroughput...I will be using a internet aggrigator called speedify. if you all have not used it and want to combine services like, cell/cable/etc I would highly recommend. I am not going to post a link, but google it if interested. If you want me to send you a link pm me, of course I get credit..but I don't want this to be about Spam. thx

Reboot
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mrubiquitous said:

Yessir! Orlando to be precise! You seem to be back home with your missus...why did you leave or do you winter from the harsh Florida winter climate to PH? lol Realizing life happens as I make other plans...I always like a "heads up" to be able to figure out possible scenarios...and workarounds.

At home in SW FL at the moment...full time resident. Will be heading out to PH tomorrow though.

• Like 1