Language useage!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My wife has now come to realize that trying to learn any local language is not that easy when learning from her or the Family & friends. Like most of the World words are shortened twisted and somewhat Bastardized but then I am reminded that we do the Same and as a Multi national Forum, I think personally we should all speak (Sing) from that same Hymn book On many occasions we see, No you Misread my post and I say No, it was Miss written

Pedantic Maybe but a lot of us are from Backgrounds where the Spoken word should have no need of qualification and the Written word to me should be the same. I hinted in another Topic about How are we expecting the Locals & especially our Families to better their English when we are not writing or Saying it Properly ourselves. All to many times we see posted the Poor use of English in a Country that says they are English Speakers, So come on People my friends lets use this Language we are proud of, to it's Fullest

Sorry but it is the way I feel Today after a Morning of Listening to a Government Official speaking  the worst Visyan I have ever heard. My wife mentioned it to her and she gave the shoulder shrug and said it was the way I was taught (she was a Teacher) This is the Lady that marked TM (our daughter) down for speaking and Writing the Oxford Dictionary versions of Words. (:thumbsup:grades given back) It doesn't take long to check all and just might save any embarrassing comments and Posts that are not needed, some are funny most are not

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I think personally we should all speak (Sing) from that same Hymn book

Hard to do when some words have so many meanings in so many languages.

I would suggest that someone hillbilly would think a "root" was the way ya got from point a to point be while a gardener might think it was the beginnings of a plant and grammar policeman would think it was the origin of a word.  But lets be honest, when an Aussie tells us to get rooted we all know what he means.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So be it:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

intrepid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

My wife has now come to realize that trying to learn any local language is not that easy when learning from her or the Family & friends. Like most of the World words are shortened twisted and somewhat Bastardized but then I am reminded that we do the Same and as a Multi national Forum, I think personally we should all speak (Sing) from that same Hymn book On many occasions we see, No you Misread my post and I say No, it was Miss written

Pedantic Maybe but a lot of us are from Backgrounds where the Spoken word should have no need of qualification and the Written word to me should be the same. I hinted in another Topic about How are we expecting the Locals & especially our Families to better their English when we are not writing or Saying it Properly ourselves. All to many times we see posted the Poor use of English in a Country that says they are English Speakers, So come on People my friends lets use this Language we are proud of, to it's Fullest

Sorry but it is the way I feel Today after a Morning of Listening to a Government Official speaking  the worst Visyan I have ever heard. My wife mentioned it to her and she gave the shoulder shrug and said it was the way I was taught (she was a Teacher) This is the Lady that marked TM (our daughter) down for speaking and Writing the Oxford Dictionary versions of Words. (:thumbsup:grades given back) It doesn't take long to check all and just might save any embarrassing comments and Posts that are not needed, some are funny most are not

moalagi !

virginprune
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Hard to do when some words have so many meanings in so many languages.

I would suggest that someone hillbilly would think a "root" was the way ya got from point a to point be while a gardener might think it was the beginnings of a plant and grammar policeman would think it was the origin of a word.  But lets be honest, when an Aussie tells us to get rooted we all know what he means.

Then it is all down to context, which in itself could be misconstrued as a prisoner's message.

Edited by virginprune
Punctuation
  • Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

But lets be honest, when an Aussie tells us to get rooted we all know what he means.

Get married and build a house?

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

As long as they can't understand Igpay Atinlay. If I can't understand them, I'd like to be able to return the favor with my own secret language.:smile:

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, robert k said:

As long as they can't understand Igpay Atinlay. If I can't understand them, I'd like to be able to return the favor with my own secret language.:smile:

Oodgay lanpay... :hystery:

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Mike J said:

Their is a hole bunch of us who cunt spell so gud also.

Twat did u say? I cunt here u?

English is actually my second language, first one is cunninglinguist.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 4