Any Expats try DX'ing from Philippines

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Any Expats try tuning in distant radio stations at night? 

FM DX'ing simply takes a tuner with a good antenna and a few hours tuning in stations from distant places. Due to language differences it maybe difficult to determine the call letters of a station. Some tuners are better than others but you don't really need any special equipment to spend a few hours playing around.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Never tried that but there are many radio stations accessible via the Internet, most BBC ones being a prime example.

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Any Expats try tuning in distant radio stations at night? 

FM DX'ing simply takes a tuner with a good antenna and a few hours tuning in stations from distant places. Due to language differences it maybe difficult to determine the call letters of a station. Some tuners are better than others but you don't really need any special equipment to spend a few hours playing around.

Sounds kind of fun and mysterious Old55. What kind of stations are there out there, and what might we hear? More exotic than current internet radio.  Back when I was a Peace Corps here, I used to borrow a neighbor's bandwidth radio to listen to jazz from Radio Free Europe, and other faraway stations. Don't know if those old type radios are even around anymore..

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

DX'ing has a long interesting history but today only a few hams are still at it. Sadly Australia long wave public broadcasting went off the air last month.

If I had a reasonably good AM FM receiver in Philippines ?? it would be fun way to kill a few hours one night. Unlike some forum members who exclusively engage in more personal activities after darkness falls. :SugarwareZ-004:

No names! Don't ask don't tell!

• Like 4

KC813
Posted
Posted

Wow, DXing!  Haven't heard that term in a long time!  I probably have an old notebook somewhere full of QSL cards from long ago.  You mention FM, but I wonder about reception considering the terrain?  I would think medium-wave reception from other countries would be possible and interesting, IF AM bands are in use in SE Asia.

I remember when I first went to PH in the 80's, outside shortwave receivers and ham equipment were banned without special government permission.  The internet has sure changed those hobbies.

kc

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Are you suggesting 'horizontal jogging?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Are you suggesting 'horizontal jogging?

Yes..... yes I am.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Yes..... yes I am.

:whistling:  :thumbsup: Luv It

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I guess there are many ham radio enthusiasts here in the Philippines. If a person brought their ham radio equipment with them and got set up, they could join too.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Amateur_Radio_Association

• Like 1