Any Expats try DX'ing from Philippines

Jake
Posted
Posted

During my time in the navy, I dealt with RF atmospherics as a comm and radar tech.  But as far as ham communications, the only time I was personally involved was using the Mars relay station.  We had to pause between send and receive: I love you, over?

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Jake, wow MARS. That brings back memories..... let me guess when you got on the air for a personal connection you did the "dirty talk trick" to stay on the net? I know you did!:smile:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Jake, wow MARS. That brings back memories..... let me guess when you got on the air for a personal connection you did the "dirty talk trick" to stay on the net? I know you did!:smile:

There was a long line of horny sailors behind me waiting to get on the microphone.  I was too naive and just whispered sweet nothings.  I believe the route was Midway Island to San Francisco and land line down to San Diego.  

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

On a little different note, when my husband was about 17 years old, he used to be the guy that sent Morse code messages from the town post office all over the Philippines. At the time he had learned it in trade school and was able to parlay that into a job. He said that townspeople would come in and give him a message to send a quick telegram to a family member in another town/island. If messages arrived back in the telegraph office, he was obliged to carry that telegram sometimes a hike away to a neighboring barangay.  He said that everyone heard about telegrams that came in, and they would gossip about the news sometimes before the recipient  even heard about the news.

He liked that job he said. Everything is text now.:smile:

• Like 4

KC813
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

On a little different note, when my husband was about 17 years old, he used to be the guy that sent Morse code messages from the town post office all over the Philippines. At the time he had learned it in trade school and was able to parlay that into a job. He said that townspeople would come in and give him a message to send a quick telegram to a family member in another town/island. If messages arrived back in the telegraph office, he was obliged to carry that telegram sometimes a hike away to a neighboring barangay.  He said that everyone heard about telegrams that came in, and they would gossip about the news sometimes before the recipient  even heard about the news.

He liked that job he said. Everything is text now.:smile:

I lost my ear for morse code decades ago, but with your husband's youthful experience I bet he could still play a code key like a pro!

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I never mastered Morse Code but there was a time I was pretty darn good with an abacus.  But I broke it when it was in my pocket and I fell off my dinosaur. :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, KC813 said:

I lost my ear for morse code decades ago, but with your husband's youthful experience I bet he could still play a code key like a pro!

You're probably right KC.:smile:

• Like 1