Mining decisions

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I was reading yesterday how the DU30 government has stopped mining in many areas of Philippines, closing about 22 mines from memory.  

I am no 'tree hugger', not a great supporter of 'climate change' but feel there is need for sensible management of pollutants, as I see no benefits in pushing sh..loads of carbon into the atmosphere.

After reading this, I scratched my head and wondered if they had thought it through.  There is a lot of revenue, jobs and benefits for the country with these mines and we are talking about a 3rd world country trying to climb out of substantial poverty.  Then I read further and saw that the person appointed by DU30 was a 'conservationist' greenie and realised it had been a 'stacked deck'.

Oh well, maybe they can make up the loss of revenue in other areas?

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

They could sell drugs.  Heard somewhere that there is a shortage of sellers now.

• Like 5

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

They could get a 10% royalty on the oil China is getting ready to drill for. What a deal instead of 100% and drilling for it themselves.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

They could get a 10% royalty on the oil China is getting ready to drill for. What a deal instead of 100% and drilling for it themselves.

I think that is what Du30 is looking at, hopefully more than 10% as it is better than nothing which is what PI would get otherwise. Any drilling would be contacted out to a foreign company and split profits anyways. Not much is done from the heartland alone.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, mogo51 said:

I was reading yesterday how the DU30 government has stopped mining in many areas of Philippines, closing about 22 mines from memory.  

I am no 'tree hugger', not a great supporter of 'climate change' but feel there is need for sensible management of pollutants, as I see no benefits in pushing sh..loads of carbon into the atmosphere.

After reading this, I scratched my head and wondered if they had thought it through.  There is a lot of revenue, jobs and benefits for the country with these mines and we are talking about a 3rd world country trying to climb out of substantial poverty.  Then I read further and saw that the person appointed by DU30 was a 'conservationist' greenie and realised it had been a 'stacked deck'.

Oh well, maybe they can make up the loss of revenue in other areas?

In parts of Mindanao, they are stripping the mountains clean. Really tearing the place apart. While it creates some temporary jobs on the one hand, the runoff trashes the coast and kills off the marine life--marine life people are dependent on for their daily food. So that's a bunch of other jobs that go up in smoke...never mind the subsistence fishermen who merely want to eat. Furthermore, many of these mines are illegal to begin with. 

The Filipinos don't need to wreck their country to develop. Costa Rica didn't.

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

They could sell drugs.  Heard somewhere that there is a shortage of sellers now.

That is a rather hazardous career to pursue me thinks.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Seems I have opened a 'can of worms'.  Can't quite figure one out either - good point.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Reboot said:

In parts of Mindanao, they are stripping the mountains clean. Really tearing the place apart. While it creates some temporary jobs on the one hand, the runoff trashes the coast and kills off the marine life--marine life people are dependent on for their daily food. So that's a bunch of other jobs that go up in smoke...never mind the subsistence fishermen who merely want to eat. Furthermore, many of these mines are illegal to begin with. 

The Filipinos don't need to wreck their country to develop. Costa Rica didn't.

Don't know much about Costa Rica's history, can you expand as to what you are referring to?

Reboot
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, mogo51 said:

Don't know much about Costa Rica's history, can you expand as to what you are referring to?

Wealth creation and development that doesn't destroy a country's natural patrimony. CR almost invented eco-tourism. It's worked for them.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Reboot said:

Wealth creation and development that doesn't destroy a country's natural patrimony. CR almost invented eco-tourism. It's worked for them.

Thank you Reboot.  But the silly part of the decision by Philippines to claw back mining is that they have just transferred the money from Philippines to Indonesia who has just re opened their mines the closed on 'environmental reasons'.  The loss of income was massive.

The answer is to ensure safe mining practices and oversee that those measures are being kept up to date.  Then it is a win/win.

I am sure the poor bastards who are struggling from day to day to keep a roof over their head and food in their and childrens' mouths could be well use it.

I also agree with you about tourism in Philippines.  My SO and I did a trip up and down Luzon a couple of years ago and the potential is unbelievable but the infra structure is lagging so far behind.  Philippines needs to get its hands on as much capital that it can to break the 'poverty shackles'

• Like 3