Kids in the street

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

One of the things I hate about going to Manila is seeing all the street kids.  Yesterday we had to go to BI in Intramuros.  When we left, we were headed to the Jones bridge and we had a driver, so I could look around.  We slowly passed one of the overpasses and underneath I noticed 2 kids, a little girl about 4-7 and a 2-3 year old boy.  Both skinny, small and malnourished, so it is hard to tell their ages.

The reason I looked twice was because the little girl was smoking a cigarette and blowing the smoke in the toddlers face!  Very, very sad!  I wish Duterte would make street kids one of his projects.

Yes Don, I know how you feel as it depresses me also, but there is little we can do unfortunately.  I agree that such a project from DU30 would be just as important as crushing the drug trade.  One leads to the other from my experience.

I made a post about lost revenue from mines closure in Phils by the 'tree huggers' and there was some economic/academic discussions and input.  But my post was alluding to this very problem.  How can Philippines with poverty at such levels, walk away from a large income source, when there is such poverty in the country?

Proper controls and stringent conditions for mining companies is the answer, not the banishing of this income stream.  It all helps as the taxes feed into the Government coffers.  

Maybe digressing a little, but I believe it is all interlinked.

• Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Charitable groups try to provide food and shelter for street living children. They stay a few days and then leave. Their preference is living on the streets. Reasons are complex. One of them is bonding with similarly situated children or group for mutual support and protection. The barkada is their family after being abandoned by parents.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, JJReyes said:

Charitable groups try to provide food and shelter for street living children. They stay a few days and then leave. Their preference is living on the streets. Reasons are complex. One of them is bonding with similarly situated children or group for mutual support and protection. The barkada is their family after being abandoned by parents.

I suspect you could be right about their mind think on this one.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Yes Don, I know how you feel as it depresses me also, but there is little we can do unfortunately.  I agree that such a project from DU30 would be just as important as crushing the drug trade.  One leads to the other from my experience.

I made a post about lost revenue from mines closure in Phils by the 'tree huggers' and there was some economic/academic discussions and input.  But my post was alluding to this very problem.  How can Philippines with poverty at such levels, walk away from a large income source, when there is such poverty in the country?

Proper controls and stringent conditions for mining companies is the answer, not the banishing of this income stream.  It all helps as the taxes feed into the Government coffers.  

Maybe digressing a little, but I believe it is all interlinked.

Yes, everything is connected.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I wish Duterte would make street kids one of his projects.

He did before and during the Elections, In Davao when he was Mayor he had all the Street kids Rounded up and Put in cages. That's what the man thinks of sorting Street kids out. While there are so many Abandoned Kids there will be Street Kids. Time to sort out the Population issue & I think you all know what I mean here.  

It was even done during the Pope' visit so he did not have to see them Street kids.jpg

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

He did before and during the Elections, In Davao when he was Mayor he had all the Street kids Rounded up and Put in cages. That's what the man thinks of sorting Street kids out. While there are so many Abandoned Kids there will be Street Kids. Time to sort out the Population issue & I think you all know what I mean here.  

I didn't know that.  Are you sure it is true?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

I didn't know that.  Are you sure it is true?

Recheck the Post I have added a photo a Photo

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

There is a whole Google page on the Round ups but I would need JGF's permission to put it up

Jack:huh:

Sorry, Morning All:morning1:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

One of the few successful intervention projects is Street Children Village in Alabang operated by Don Bosco, The problem is their fund raising was focused on constructing the facilities. Very little was set aside for operating the facility. Our group's offer was to start a website seeking financial sponsorship for individual children. The problem is no follow-up. We eventually abandoned the idea.

The children were all polite and they were required to do the "Mano po." when meeting visitor. This is the tradition of holding your hand and touching the forehead as a gesture of respect.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2