Kids in the street

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So here is the problem as I see it, can't/won't fix the problem so lets Hide it Bad I say BAD :angry:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

DSWD will take in ANY street kid who wants to go there but for some reason the kids would rather stay on the street.  The options are there though.

One of the movies I find quite educational in that regard is "Lilith Never Happened"  It illustrates that, for all its problems, street kids want to be street kids like homeless people in Canada want to be homeless.  

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's why Metro Manila is so depressing.  The rat population has better chow than the street people.  I once rolled down my window (in the back of a taxi) to give out my loose change.  The driver immediately warned me -- bawal, syndicado.  Meaning most of the children are part of a syndicate run by crooked cops.  The older kids will actually "rent" toddlers to gain more sympathy. 

It just takes another calamity (earthquake, flooding, etc) for another massive migration of tens of thousands of people into the streets of Manila.

Yeah, es mo pun in da Philippines.......

Edited by Jake
  • Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

One of the things I hate about going to Manila is seeing all the street kids.  Yesterday we had to go to BI in Intramuros.  When we left, we were headed to the Jones bridge and we had a driver, so I could look around.  We slowly passed one of the overpasses and underneath I noticed 2 kids, a little girl about 4-7 and a 2-3 year old boy.  Both skinny, small and malnourished, so it is hard to tell their ages.

The reason I looked twice was because the little girl was smoking a cigarette and blowing the smoke in the toddlers face!  Very, very sad!  I wish Duterte would make street kids one of his projects.

Manila is the worst when it comes to poor street kids. Once by Chinatown I saw a little pile of bodies huddled and napping on cardboard by the bridge. Not far from Rizal park a little girl huffing paint or something. It's awful.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Reboot said:

Manila is the worst when it comes to poor street kids. Once by Chinatown I saw a little pile of bodies huddled and napping on cardboard by the bridge. Not far from Rizal park a little girl huffing paint or something. It's awful.

Huffing paint?  It's called Rugby, a yellowish adhesive to curtail hunger pains.  It's also called camel snot in the navy to glue down non conductive matting on the workbench.  

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jake said:

The driver immediately warned me -- bawal, syndicado.  Meaning most of the children are part of a syndicate run by crooked cops.  The older kids will actually "rent" toddlers to gain more sympathy. 

We were instructed at an early age not to give money to beggars because they were working for syndicates. Another reason not to give is because it will encourage more people to become beggars. The best explanation, never proven, was beggars actually made more money than those working for a living. 

For beggars and street living children, we have a few buns available to give them. For street working children selling sampaguita or other items, I overpay. The example is handing a PHP100 bill and telling the child to keep the change. Most thank me or my wife. Others don't and wonder why we are being so generous.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Kids in the street's, abandoned by parent's or orphaned by circumstances of Poverty.

Whatever the reason that they find themselves in such a situation, it's a tragedy.

Sadly the same problem is unfolding worldwide.

As the British Government argues over how many children (refugees without parents) they will allow into the country at this very point in time, the children are left to fend for themselves in terrible conditions in temporarily provided refugee camps across Europe and the Middle East.

Next time they come begging don't chase them away, feed them. My faith in God tells me, their places are already reserved in the next world and that just about keeps me sane.

Edited by Kuya John
mispell
  • Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We don't have much problem with street kids, or beggars in general, here in Iloilo.  Not sure why, but glad.  When we went to Cebu for a visit I forgot to warn my wife about the gangs of street kids there. They travel in packs and are very aggressive. The security guards at the stores earn their money there.  She was frightened by the behavior of the kids in Cebu.  She lived in Manila for a short time and said she never saw them as bad as in Cebu.  I won't give them a farthing, but she gets scared sometimes and pays them to go away...  She is a province girl, I am a city boy... 

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

We don't have much problem with street kids, or beggars in general, here in Iloilo.  Not sure why, but glad.  When we went to Cebu for a visit I forgot to warn my wife about the gangs of street kids there. They travel in packs and are very aggressive. The security guards at the stores earn their money there.  She was frightened by the behavior of the kids in Cebu.  She lived in Manila for a short time and said she never saw them as bad as in Cebu.  I won't give them a farthing, but she gets scared sometimes and pays them to go away...  She is a province girl, I am a city boy... 

We all have different experiences but this has not happened to me here in Cebu. I see street kids and beggars but nothing aggressive . 

• Like 1