Kids in the street

Jake
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I won't give them a farthing, but she gets scared sometimes and pays them to go away...  She is a province girl, I am a city boy... 

Of course I had to look it up.  Apparently originated from UK but I'm curious how it got started as a small monetary value.  

My farthing ain't free and it comes in a nice cologne spray bottle.  

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Jake the farthing was an 4th of a penny.

240 pennies to the Pound !!

Believe it or not in my parents day it was well used, in my  day, I remember being able to buy school lunch for the equivalent of 5 new pence.

New pence 100= Pound :cheersty:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Believe it or not in my parents day it was well used, in my  day, I remember being able to buy school lunch for the equivalent of 5 new pence.

When I was a nipper 6 pence would get you into the movies, ice cream, small coke and a packet of chips, oh happy days :popcorn:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, frosty (chris) said:

a packet of chips

it was the Saturday matinee, an ice lolly and a packet of "crisps" in my day

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, frosty (chris) said:
7 hours ago, Kuya John said:

When I was a nipper 6 pence would get you into the movies, ice cream, small coke and a packet of chips, oh happy days :popcorn:

What's this got to do with street children?

By the way, my wife and I stopped at an old diner shortly after crossing the border into California. They had a sign that the minimum hourly wage when the diner first opened was $1 and a hamburger and fries was $.37. Yesterday, my hamburger and fries cost me $14.99 plus 8.5% sales tax and tip. Sticker shock. 

We are on our way to Los Angeles for our Philippine Airlines flight to Manila on February 21st.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

What's this got to do with street children?

Post 19 from King Tuk's comments.  And then I diverted the topic into silliness.  Blame it on me, OK?

• Like 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Jake said:

Post 19 from King Tuk's comments.  And then I diverted the topic into silliness.  Blame it on me, OK?

No Jake, it was not silliness, its a reminder of childhood days, when this world was poorer but a happy place to be.

So maybe when we all get off that plane in PI, instead of heading off to McD's or CK, we should treat the street kids instead.

I sure most forum members automatically give what they can and other's while visiting family back home, to street kids, schools and the needy.

Sorry if this topic digressed a little,  respectfully JB

Edited by Kuya John
cooler head.
  • Like 2