Philippines Prescription eyeglasses cost comparison?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Anyone compared prescription eyeglasses costs? Are reasonable quality frames and lens cheaper in ?? Philippines?  

Lasik in Cebu from a well respected Dr. is less than half the cost here in the States.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

My wife bought a pair after she had her eyes tested. She paid 1000p. When I looked at them they were not prescription glasses they were just 1.5 magnification.This was after she went to a so called optician.

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

My SO replaced her lenses recently, she kept the old frames, they were P4500. That price was for reactalite varifocals. That is cheaper by about 40% than Specsavers in the UK. Frames can be expensive if they are a designer brand. These prices are from an optician in the mall, very much cheaper if getting from the public optician without much choice of frame.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We have bought  5 or 6 pairs for our daughters and MIL, mostly from Sarabia in SM. Quality is poor for both lens and frames. Price was from P3,000 to P,6000. My wife and I get our eye tests and glasses free in Canada and we never have a broken or loose frame nor scratches on the lens like they do here.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

It would be a better value to buy in the States it sounds like. 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Old55 said:

It would be a better value to buy in the States it sounds like. 

Better:89: I guess anywhere but here we are so we have to make the best of things and the most I have paid is 7.000 peso in 2012 and they are still going Strong, at that time it was about 100 pounds sterling which is a darn sight cheaper than the UK where my pair before were over 400 Pounds. As we say YMMV but it is what it is :smile:

It really Depends to me what anyone Considers value for Money?

Jack:huh:

Morning All :morning1:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife and I practice both dental tourism and vision tourism. It is much cheaper for us to purchase eyeglasses in the Philippines. They do try to sell expensive frames whether in the United States or the Philippines. Just say, "No."

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

They do try to sell expensive frames whether in the United States or the Philippines. Just say, "No."

Absolutely! 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have 2 pair of "arms-length focus" glasses that cost me 3,000 for the one and 5,000 for the other (depends on choice of frame) while a good friend bought progressive lenses at a place in J Mall Cebu for 8,000 pesos that he raves about.  YMMV

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

Lasik in Cebu from a well respected Dr. is less than half the cost here in the States.

What is the latest on Lasik?  Can I still get it at 60 years old?  My niece is the same age and got it in the U.S., but the main reason was because she had a bad catarac in one eye.  Do they normally do it on old farts now?

• Like 3