Best Internet Provider In Manila

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Having come close to throwing my phone and laptop out of the window has anyone got a good recommendation for an internet provider in the Manila area. My partners brother passed away yesterday and so far I've spent over 9hrs trying to rebook flights.

It's painful watching the browser circle going around for an hour before anything happens. I'm currently using Globe paid up front, unlimited browsing which is about as much use as an officer with a map. Even moving to different areas of McKinley Hill where I stay is a waste of time.

Ideally hard wired if possible. My partner thought she was doing me a favour by organising cable tv but I can't stand most tv shows. It's with Sky and I was wondering if it could be upgraded to an internet and cable TV package. I'll obviously phone Sky later to check out but just asking on the off chance someone comes up with a better provider.

Cheers.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I have sky internet in Cebu and works fine. You can add it to your TV plan. As for using a phone for internet you can try smart and it depends where you are as to what works best. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Snowy, I use globe telephone and internet. Very few interruptions in the last 2 years. I play internet games with no problem, 3200 pesos for both. As for TV I have cable link, very few shows I really enjoy. But I have a smart TV which with my internet provider I can watch most movies, State side cnn and fox news, BBC, current tv shows from the states just a few days late. plus all the types of u tube shows that are available. Once I figured out the smart tv/wireless modem my tv viewing has become much more enjoyable/

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Even better news. I've just found that the building I'm in isn't hard wired for the internet. Happy days. Globe in the building and local streets is useless.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It could be worse.  Up in the frozen north of Canada we only had Smoke Signals until the days of $2 a minute satellite phones. :hystery:

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Look online for LTE or 4G coverage map. I'd do it for you but I don't know precisely where you are.

You also need to check your phone to make sure it uses the proper frequencies. If you find you're in a good area, on the proper provider, with a phone that uses the proper frequencies, Then you need to make sure your phone is using the proper settings for that provider. If you go into setting on your phone, you may need to select prefer LTE connections or if you get a menu of connections you may have to try them systematically until you find the one that works best. A good HSPA+ connection can be better than a poor LTE connection. I normally get my internet from tethering to my phone. I have also found that where Smart has LTE, Globe will not, and the other way around in other areas.

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I'll obviously phone Sky later to check out but just asking on the off chance someone comes up with a better provider.

Cheers.

I would check Sky on their Facebook page and see what areas they are having problems with, seems to be a daily occurrence with them, you can also read what other subscribers have to say about them.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It could be worse.  Up in the frozen north of Canada we only had Smoke Signals until the days of $2 a minute satellite phones. :hystery:

Good thing you were not farther north.  It's really hard to see those smoke signals in the dark!:hystery:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, intrepid said:

It's really hard to see those smoke signals in the dark

You would be surprised.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights . . .  and with the clear skies, stars, moonlight and snow reflecting light it can be amazingly bright in the middle of a cold winter night.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I was in Paranaque last year and rock solid internet where I was staying. Fiber to room. Could have Netflix playing and a skype video session going at same time no problems but I don't remember the carrier.

• Like 1