Knife Culture UK

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Woke up this morning, to hear yet again of another young person who has died overnight. 

A 15 year old has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

It would seem that young people here in UK, mostly boy's I suspect ,carry knifes either for protection, or in willingness to harm others.

Where all this is leading to I do not know, but it must scare the life out of parents of decent young teenagers every time their children go out!

All this before breakfast, hope the day improves :morning1:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

It would seem that young people here in UK, mostly boy's I suspect ,carry knifes either for protection, or in willingness to harm others.

John, from what I glean from the Worlds press it is not just the UK but Worldwide, Like you I am not sure where it will lead but here in My Barangay, the Kids are off the Street at nightfall and certainly by 9 pm

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Certainly here in UK, there should be a automatic 3 year sentence, for carrying a weapon.

I realise that elsewhere the right to bare arms is statutory. However as they say, what happens here, happens in America first.

With respect to our American forum members.

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

The UK has strict laws regarding the sale of firearms. It's the same in Japan. Without easy access to this type of weapon, one option is to buy and carry a knife or some other type of bladed weapon. In Japan, the government is proud that few citizens die from gunshots. Yet the emergency rooms in their large cities are busy on Fridays and Saturdays with knifing victims. I believe it is the same in the U.K.

Above is not a question of legality, but availability. 

In the Philippines, it's a mixed bag. You could have a bolo or machete in your car since it is considered a farming tool. Or wear it in your belt in provincial areas. During my youth, the rich could purchase unlicensed firearms. The poor could purchase "paltik" which are homemade guns. The paltiks were usually low caliber single shot if my recollection is correct.

The great state of South Dakota permits residents like me to carry a concealed weapon. There are reciprocal agreements with other states such as Texas and Florida. On the other hand, Hawaii and California has strict gun laws.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Woke up this morning, to hear yet again of another young person who has died overnight. 

A 15 year old has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Where all this is leading to I do not know, but it must scare the life out of parents of decent young teenagers every time their children go out!

All this before breakfast, hope the day improves :morning1:

I remember a few years ago where a couple of British soldiers were butchered in broad daylight.  I believe they are imprisoned now, hopefully beaten daily by good old British justice.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Sadly it's the old argument that they feel safe by carrying a weapon. Gone are the good old days where you could keep out of trouble just by carrying yourself the right way. My wife used to tell me I walked with a get out of my way swagger and although not exactly tall plenty of people told me they'd hate to bump into me on a dark night, this attitude kept me out of lots of trouble. I'd never threaten anyone or get into an argument even if the other person was looking for trouble. I'd just look at them and advise them if they started although there's a chance they'd beat me I wouldn't stop until I'd got them in a head lock and started eating my way through their face. Their choice. I'd usually get a mouth full of abuse then they'd walk off. The secret was to let them think you weren't bluffing. Nowadays you've cowards carrying guns and knives with the belief it makes them safe. I think the death rates in countries with high gun ownership proves just how false that belief is.

I know skinny little guys now that terrify people due to a reputation for coming up behind people and sucker punching them. That reputation keeps them out of trouble. I've had it myself in the forces where the resident hard man has tried threatening me. I'd just tell him unless he kills me don't go to sleep as he might not wake up.

Sadly these days with the use of drugs you're not confronted by clear thinking people. I've friends working the doors in bars and had experience myself where a guy just walked up and punched a friend full force in the face. I was with another guy who weighs the best part of 20 stone and is a semi professional body builder. I swiped the legs from the guy knocking him to the ground and both me and my friend fell on him to restrain him. The guy was about 6ft but just average build and started to lift both me and my friend off of the ground a combined weight of over 30 stone. The guy was high on drugs and unbelievably strong. Even hitting his pressure points had no effect. He ended up with about eight people pining him down before the police arrived. My friend who works the doors tells me it's almost an evening occurrence where someone turns up as high as a kite. They now have radio links to all the bars so if they need assistance fellow doormen come running.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Sadly it's the old argument that they feel safe by carrying a weapon. Gone are the good old days where you could keep out of trouble just by carrying yourself the right way. 

Sadly these days with the use of drugs you're not confronted by clear thinking people. 

Moderators: this may fall under politics about gun laws.  Please advise and I will delete the post, thank you.

Oh boy, this is a very dicey subject for me.  Although, I thoroughly agree with Snowy.....gone were the days where civility as well as arguments can be settled more peacefully.  I could only imagine growing up in the streets of Scotland.  You have to be tough, where your fist is a badge of honor and not some pimpled face punk brandishing a big handgun with small balls.  

i live in southern California and I'm becoming more alert these days.  I always remind my family to have a presence of mind.  I even look around while standing in line at McDonalds, pumping gas or waiting for a green light at an intersection.  Realistically, I can't use this reasoning anymore, that it only happens to other people or other neighborhoods.  People are getting more desperate, people are getting more crazier due to the rampant drug problem, mostly meth.  It's called shabu there in the Philippines.  

To be armed or not?  I personally will not have a problem keeping a defensive weapon at home. With prior military experience, gun safety is paramount verses actually using it as deadly force.  After verbal commands or pepper spray, the last resort would be a double tap center mass -- immediately.  

But if you look at the bigger picture.....I'm sorry but many of the guns owners here in the states are over armed (and overweight) with high power assault rifles and ammo to last them 1000 seasons of the Walking Dead.  You think they have better control of their trigger finger?  Would you be comfortable walking around Walmart with your family and this little old lady (or young white college student, or a black Muslim, or an ugly Filipino - me) has an open carry 357 magnum and she's right behind you? You must wonder, what is her/their state of mind on aisle 6?  

Stupid scenarios?  I don't think so.  That terrorist incident at Riverside City last year is only several miles from where I live.  Existing gun control laws should not be changed....they just have to be re-enforced.

Respectfully Jake 

By the way, triple LIKE Snowy!

Edited by Jake
  • Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here in Florida, I never feel unsafe. It was different when I was growing up, however. But the US is safer than it used to be, at least that is how it seems to me (and crime statistics do bear that out). My town where I live is well policed. It is also rather expensive, which tends to keep out certain troublesome elements. But as someone mentioned above, in Florida we are allowed to own, and with a license, carry a weapon if we choose. I have a weapon next to my bed and in my car..and sometimes carry if I am going to travel somewhere a bit dodgy.

To be honest, however, I never felt unsafe in the Ph either. And much of the time, I was with one or more off duty cops, and they were always armed...so I guess you could say I had personal bodyguards! LOL

I seldom have trouble with people it's been nearly 20 years since I've had any sort of physical altercation with anyone. I don't go around looking for trouble or acting like I am a threat or challenge to people and I treat everyone respectfully. I also stay away from places with "that sort of people." I think that avoids a lot of problems.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jake said:

Oh boy, this is a very dicey subject for me.  Although, I thoroughly agree with Snowy.....gone were the days where civility as well as arguments can be settled more peacefully.  I could only imagine growing up in the streets of Scotland.  You have to be tough, where your fist is a badge of honor and not some pimpled face punk brandishing a big handgun with small balls.  

i live in southern California and I'm becoming more alert these days.  I always remind my family to have a presence of mind.  I even look around while standing in line at McDonalds, pumping gas or waiting for a green light at an intersection.  Realistically, I can't use this reasoning anymore, that it only happens to other people or other neighborhoods.  People are getting more desperate, people are getting more crazier due to the rampant drug problem, mostly meth.  It's called shabu there in the Philippines.  

To be armed or not?  I personally will not have a problem keeping a defensive weapon at home. With prior military experience, gun safety is paramount verses actually using it as deadly force.  After verbal commands or pepper spray, the last resort would be a double tap center mass -- immediately.  But if you look at the bigger picture.....I'm sorry but many of the guns owners here in the states are over armed (and overweight) with high power assault rifles and ammo to last them 100 seasons of the Walking Dead.  You think they have better control of their trigger finger?  Would you be comfortable walking around Walmart with a little old lady (or young white college student, a black Muslim, an ugly Filipino - me) openly carrying a 357 magnum and she's right behind you?  You must wonder, what is her/their state of mind on aisle 6?  

Stupid scenarios?  I don't think so.  That terrorist incident at Riverside City last year is only several miles from where I live.  Existing gun control laws should not be changed....they just have to be enforced.

Respectfully Jake 

By the way, triple LIKE Snowy!

I guess I am overarmed...and overweight! Back in my younger years I enjoyed collecting..still have my collection. Was thinking of selling most of it off however. It takes up too much closet space! 

• Like 3