We are talking about moving to the Philippines

jpbago
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

Try to get deeper informations about example Bayawan. It is so difficult. Or checking for a place to stay.

I had problems with Bayawan as well. There are only 2 hotels there and neither reply to emails and neither give confirmation by phone. Neither takes payment in advance to confirm so we did not go. Either they are full consistently or they do not want business.

• Like 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jpbago said:

I had problems with Bayawan as well. There are only 2 hotels there and neither reply to emails and neither give confirmation by phone. Neither takes payment in advance to confirm so we did not go. Either they are full consistently or they do not want business.

A google search showed me 6 hotels in Bayawan. It seems to get better in that city. Sometime it is quite interesting at some very remote areas are still some hotels or pensions being available. 

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
On 3/25/2017 at 11:07 AM, Dr. Shiva said:

And the honking from the vehicles.

I was in a taxi the other day and to use the horn, he had a button at the bottom of the dash that he would press to activate the horn. I have never in my life seen a car with a horn that had worn out before the car did.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
On 3/25/2017 at 5:46 PM, Dr. Shiva said:

A google search showed me 6 hotels in Bayawan. It seems to get better in that city. Sometime it is quite interesting at some very remote areas are still some hotels or pensions being available. 

There are only 2 hotels in Bayawan. The other 4 that show in google are many kilometers away from the city itself.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 2/12/2017 at 11:40 AM, fototek1 said:

My current plan is to try to keep our house here for a year while living there. When we move there we will construct a 12 room hotel for income. What advice do you all have to offer? 

A "layoff" is hard to take at any age but you seem to have planned ahead for your future with savings.

My home in So California is paid for. I lease it out annually. My furnishings are in storage for when I return. 

I do not have a fixed income but I have substantial income monthly from other sources. 

You may have to reconsider constructing a hotel until you find out all the requirements. 

Good Luck. 

• Like 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, jpbago said:

There are only 2 hotels in Bayawan. The other 4 that show in google are many kilometers away from the city itself.

Touroriental lists 9 places to stay in Bayawan. But the site seems not to be up to date.

• 1 year later...
fototek1
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

It's been almost 2 years since I started this post and I thought I would provide an update.

After getting laid off I found a new job that I really liked, then I got called back to my telecom job. I couldn't decide what to do, so I worked both jobs for 6 months. It was a tough decision, but I quit the job in telecom to take a chance on the start up I enjoyed working at. 

The 14 room Motel I talked about is now a 21 room motel (set to open in January) pictures attached.

We are on track for 2021 retirement unless the hotel can really perform. Mentally I am ready to retire next year.  

Bathroom.jpg

room.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the update good luck to you!

boyee
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, fototek1 said:

Hello all,

It's been almost 2 years since I started this post and I thought I would provide an update.

It sounds like you are still on tract to make the big move.  Your original description of you and your wife is very similar to me and my wife.  We are mid 40's, Plan on moving in less than 6 years, my wife's family are upper middle class so no worries about that.  We bought a farm and are planning on building a Retreat / Air BnB type rental and I love guns.  

You mentioned one of your hobbies is long distance shooting.  I know a foreigner cannot own a gun and I would guess even shooting one may not be permitted.  Now I don't yet live there so I don't really know but you might still be about to do it.  

I have An American friend who went to visit Manila.  One of his wife's cousins took him to a gun range and he was able to shoot Uzi's, fully auto m16's etc.  The guns and ammo belong to his wife's cousin and the range was private meaning the two of them had a section all to them selves.  When the owner found out an American tourist was there he invited my buddy to the gunship where 3 guys were making ghost 1911's.  There were even police officers who asked him to join them in a friendly gun n run competition although he politely decline to save face.  Very smart move.  

Now he was definitely a tourist and not an expat but certainly not a citizen and he was there all day.  Shooting all day.    Everyone obviously know he was not a local but no one cared infact they were curious to see how an American could shoot.  

Maybe you could keep your hobby of long distance shooting in the PH. as long as you don't own the gun and ammo.  Or maybe you'd go to jail.  I don't know I'm sure a few Foreigners on this site who actually lives there will be happy to shed some light onto this.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, boyee said:

Maybe you could keep your hobby of long distance shooting in the PH. as long as you don't own the gun and ammo.  Or maybe you'd go to jail.  I don't know I'm sure a few Foreigners on this site who actually lives there will be happy to shed some light onto this.

I'm pretty sure anyone can fire a gun at the proper gun places. The law is a foreigner can not own a gun but these places are a controlled environment where you pay to use and do not take the gun off premises. I have seen many of videos of a tourist at gun ranges trying out all sorts of guns.