Bedtime...............

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Just got to thinking if was only me when in the Booneys (Province) or does everyone hit the hay dead early in PI?

Took a while to acclimatise after last visit as whilst there we where in bed most nights between 8-9pm and up anytime from 5am.  Slept like a baby always and felt revitalised after our two week break.  Not even the Roosters from 4am woke us.

Downside was coming back to work and trying to get back into usual routine.

Is the early to bed thing and up early to maximise daylight hours and perhaps cooler timings or is it a throwback to lack of entertainment, save on lights bill or even times of candles and no lights in the provinces..............

Just got me thinking

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

When I lived in the deep province it irritated me that everything closed up by 7 pm with the exception of a couple bars, karaoke places, and a GRO cathouse.  It doesn't leave a guy who is trying to be "good" with a lot of options.

• Like 3

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

We are so deep there are no bars, no karaoke joints and no GRO places close!!!!

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

I would stay up late to get the best internet speed possible sometimes. Living in a nipa house it often wasn't worth the trouble to stay up late and show lights because of the bugs. We had a light outside to draw the bugs AWAY from the house. If we did have lights on after dark, visitors or watching TV we would have a bag hanging from the light and a pan of water in front of the tv to catch the bugs which were fed to the chickens the next day. Waste not want not.:smile:

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

We here too try to take advantage of the cooler mornings by getting up somewhere between 5 and 6AM, especially during the hotter dry season. We do still stay up later though, till 9 or ten. For some reason lately my body clock has been waking me up at 6:05 most days.:smile:

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

When I first travelled to the Philippines 20+ years ago, no electricity so no TV and no lights apart from kerosene. Nothing to do after dark apart from going to bed and making babies, so early nights and big families.  

Years ago, someone did a study on rural electrification in the Philippines. It was found that the arrival of television cut the birth rate. Most communities could not afford television, but the wealthy would place theirs next to a 2nd floor window facing out so their neighbors could watch at street level.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Steve GCC said:

no bars, no karaoke joints

Sounds like a good business opportunity as I have not yet seen a place deep enough in the woods to have neither of these.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Talking about Bedtime  Good night  said zebidee.jpg:smile:

• Like 1