Google Voice

davewe
Posted
Posted

I know this has been discussed before. But the answers here and elsewhere (including on Google) are so confusing - well I'm confused.

I'm still in the US and have a Google Voice number. It's linked to my current cell service but of course that will get cancelled when I move to the Philippines.

What I want to do is simple (I think). I want a US number where I can call other US numbers for free. And I want a US number so others (mostly my kids) can call or text me.

Yes I know there are other apps and methodologies (Skype, Magic Jack, etc.) I'm just trying to keep this simple and cheap for me and my wife.

So do any of you actually use Google Voice for calling home or receiving calls or does it not work for you? Thanks!

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Not too familiar with Google Voice.  My wife Judy has been using FB messenger for a long time.  I was pleasantly surprise about the live video stream between Judy and her sister in Makati.  About 95% of the time, it was crystal clear and no buffering.  That of course, is dependent upon internet speed and bandwidth from the local area in the Philippines.   

Good luck Dave!

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Google voice is my solution to what you are trying to do. I have had it long enough a few months ago google wanted to re-verify my Verizon number attached to my Google Voice account. I still have the number but do not even have the sim installed as I have it set to go to my Google Voice. The time limit expired and Google discontinued my call forwarding from Verizon to GV but I have given my GV number out for the last 5 years and only telemarketers call the Verizon number anyway. 

Bottom line, Google Voice works great. Also download the Hangouts app if you don't have it already. I use hangouts to call the bank etc and my GV number shows on their caller ID.

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted
On 2/18/2017 at 0:13 PM, AlwaysRt said:

Google voice is my solution to what you are trying to do. I have had it long enough a few months ago google wanted to re-verify my Verizon number attached to my Google Voice account. I still have the number but do not even have the sim installed as I have it set to go to my Google Voice. The time limit expired and Google discontinued my call forwarding from Verizon to GV but I have given my GV number out for the last 5 years and only telemarketers call the Verizon number anyway. 

Bottom line, Google Voice works great. Also download the Hangouts app if you don't have it already. I use hangouts to call the bank etc and my GV number shows on their caller ID.

I just installed the Hangouts App and immediately discovered that both my kids are users. Sounds like it's a popular app among those younger than me (which means most everyone).

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
russellmania
Posted
Posted

Magicjack is simple enough. Bought mine at Walmart for about $60. Register it in your city and get a U.S number and pack your magicjack to the Philippines. I can call any U.S. # and my family and friends can call me in the Phils any time as long as my majic Jack is plugged in. I use a old laptop to keep my magicJack line open most times.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, russellmania said:

Magicjack is simple enough

Have had mine set up for close to 5 years now, comes in handy if I have to call the states for tax preparation or what ever. Renewal is automatic if you choose that option. I don't bother with keeping it active like russel does, if I get a call the message goes to my email showing what number called. And if I feel like it, I just might return it :thumbsup:

• Like 1