Metal Detecting in the Philippines

roddavis
Posted
Posted

As I was lounging around, thought I would open some boxes I packed 3 years ago when I came to Cebu and retired from California. One of my hobbies was using a metal detector around beaches and parks. So thought I would tune up my detectors (Whites MXT for rings/coins and GMT used for gold nuggets and such). I checked the internet for detecting in the Philippines and only saw license requirement if you are hunting treasure, else public lands(beaches) are permitted, private land with permission. My brother-in-law has some land in the foothills that has strange Japanese marking in stone and has an unexplored cave nearby. I know about being cautious cuz some areas might be booby-trapped. I found some documents for Japanese markings here from WW2. I will be checking that area soon. Anyone have any experience in this area.

Also, I live in Cebu and looking for some nice sandy beaches nearby. On the western side it is pretty much rocks for beach. Not a good medium to detect thru. Any detectorists out there I can converse with? Today after tune up and new batteries, tried out the field in front of my house. Walking along I had about 15 kids helping out to dig the spots. Alot of bottle caps, but for 1 hour I did manage to find P19 in coin. Kids were impressed! Just need to find better location.

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, roddavis said:

but for 1 hour I did manage to find P19 in coin

Sounds like a good retirement job/hobby.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Hi Rod, 

I agree 100% with Jake, except for the last bit! :console:

Searching public areas with children helping and sharing the coins is very a nice thing to do. I bet there were lots of smiles and great stories told.

This topic was covered some years ago. If I remember correctly the consensus was there could be real risk in some cases for a number of good reasons.

There is a long history of treasure hunting typically in regard to General Tomoyuki Yamashita hidden gold or treasure. If your family member has property with Japanese markings or history that will most likely be common knowledge. If you (the rich Kano) start searching the area with a metal detector word will quickly get out. The fact is there are a number of syndicates that treasure hunt if they were to be curious that could become a huge issue. Or simply locals will think maybe Rod found some gold or whatever and "we" should share in that.

My wife and I have a story to do with this. Davliz resort on the north shore of Sogod Bay Southern Leyte was a place we visited and I dived many times years ago. It was located at one of two small Japanese bases located in Sogod Bay. They flew float planes out of Sogod during the battle for the Philippines. A syndicate representative visited Dave and Liza with a local official and politely told them a group would be doing some digging with heavy equipment on their beach. Would they please not only not view what was being done but to simply leave for awhile because it would be "unsafe for them". The official was known to them and said the resort would respected. They moved for a short time, returning to find a huge hole excavated at low tide line. Nothing else at the resort was disturbed.

• Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

:89:WOW,Jake lost his virginity to an IRON BOTTOM ..........I was married to on for 38 years:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1