Buying land

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

I guess the idea is to not risk more than you can afford to lose when it comes to property in the Ph.

Just assume you are going to set the cash on fire...and have backup plans back home.

From what I understand, you can build a pretty decent house in the provinces for about $50k, so it's not necessarily a whole lot of money to risk.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Even the ones who have been here a decade or more and think they have 'done it right' get screwed over many times when thinking they can purchase land here through their wife or a corporation or some other means.  Would you like me to introduce you to a dozen or so expats who have been here at least a decade and got screwed over?  I am one of the very lucky ones who (so far) has a good relationship with my ex and she signed the papers on "our" house.  Most of the time its not so pleasant.

One friend of mine, (who shall remain nameless because some here know him), actually makes his living advising foreigners how to 'buy' houses and lots and keep control of them.  He lost his lot to his wife in a separation as she knows the same stuff he knows.

I'm with you on the length of time you have been here not being a safety net but sadly most people fail on their due diligence. There's only two ways for a foreigner to get his land to build on and one is safer than the other.

The first is by marrying and having the land in your wife's name. Fantastic as long as the relationship lasts and you're not traded in for a younger model or school boy sweet heart. I take my hat off to those that have found the love of their life and have great relationships but I've heard too many horror stories when the love dies to go down that route.

The second is the corporation route which again has pitfalls. I've known foreigners set up a business with their money and using Filipinos to get around the 60/40 rule. The last one was a German who set up a dive school. He went home to sort personal issues and on his return the company was gone. Sold lock stock and barrel by the other share holders. With land the rule is to set up a company with your money. Lend the business money to buy land which you lease and attach a power of attorney to the land for 50yrs. Chances are you'll be dead by then. The company are then in debt to you and as such has no re-sale value. The power of attorney prevents the majority share holders from cancelling the lease. You will have to pay corporation tax which is higher that regular tax but still reasonable and worth it if your savings are at stake.

The final pitfall which is hard to avoid is the dodgy lawyer. There's one in Puerto Princesa who has bought land that foreigners have approached him to do the legal purchase on their behalf. He's saw a huge profit to made and assured the foreigners he will complete the purchase and transfer the title into their name but buys the lot instead. I was advised if using any lawyer never leave paperwork with them without getting copies of every document signed before leaving their office. This way if the lawyer tries to screw you over you have legal proof that he is bringing the law into disrepute. (isn't it already?)

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

The final pitfall which is hard to avoid is the dodgy lawyer.

Yep, forgot to mention that.  One foreigner who thought he had his arse covered in Biliran province had to leave the country for a bit.  When he came back his property was sold, gone, not to be gotten back.  He raised a big stink and it seemed one of the most respected lawyers in the whole province had been the one to do the paperwork to sell the house.  Foreigner was MAD and went seeking justice.  End result:  Atty Sabitsana was disbarred for a whole year (yep thats all), which simply meant he had to find something else to do for a year and then back to business as usual.  Foreigner involved got nothing but aggravation out of the whole thing.

Here's another one, Foreigner has house in wife's name and goes back to Australia for a visit.  Wife has debts that she does not want to admit to her husband.  While she is gone another Aussie tells her he will give her cash money for her house (about half what its worth) if she will just sign on the dotted line to sell the place to HIS wife.  She signs, other Aussie comes back.  He's mad but there is SFA he can do about it.

If you try to go the corporation route there are ways that work better than others but the first person with influence who screams anti-dummy rule will have your property taken from you.  http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/comacts/ca_108_1936.html

Still, none of that stopped any of us from buying property here :7500: as we are ALL smarter than those other guys and we ALL do our due diligence and learn from other's mistakes.  If we didn't, we might end up having to sell our most prized possessions to bail ourselves out of the financial mess we got ourselves into by not learning from the mistakes of others :whistling: 

• Like 5

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Yip the Anti Dummy laws are a mine field and one best left to a lawyer with lots to lose. I'm sure the courts would be tied up for the next 50 years just looking at Boracay properties but you never know your luck anyone can get investigated at any time. I've been advised there are lawyers that deal with this issue but you pay well for the advice and service. No doubt they lubricate someone down the line then there's always the possibility that laws change and become more detrimental to your wealth. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

End result:  Atty Sabitsana was disbarred for a whole year

It just occured to me there would be a written record of this somewhere, and thanks to Mr Google, it can be found here:

http://sc.judiciary.gov.ph/jurisprudence/2012/april2012/5098.htm

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

The only way to do it legally is under the Lease Investment Act 7652 which covers you and your investment for 50yrs in increments of 25yrs. If the company or individual you lease off of try to cancel the lease they have to compensate you for any building or business you have erected on the land. I'm busy going through the act but have booked an appointment with a lawyer that my friend has used for the best part of 30yrs. Once I get more information I'll post it here.

• Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

The only way to do it legally is under the Lease Investment Act 7652 which covers you and your investment for 50yrs in increments of 25yrs. If the company or individual you lease off of try to cancel the lease they have to compensate you for any building or business you have erected on the land. I'm busy going through the act but have booked an appointment with a lawyer that my friend has used for the best part of 30yrs. Once I get more information I'll post it here.

Something to be aware of is if you lease the land it can not be from your spouse as the Philippine family code treat husband and wife as a single entity, you can't lease from yourself.

• Like 3