Buying land

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Just a quick history lesson.

Very quick.  It does not even mention the Chinese taking over the Spratleys or the fact that foreigners could own land just fine until Marcos nationalized the whole country and said give it back to the Filipinos (unless you are Chinese and you build your island and claim it (sarcasm)

Bottom line:  Its a minefield and all we can do is live with it.

Clermont
Posted
Posted

No mate true blue Aussie, building on islands don't make you legal owners. Marcos only implemented the laws that were set out in the agreement the yanks and Alies agreed on at the end of the war. I served in the area during Marcos years. Enough history lesson, spend a bit of time reading for yourself.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Clermont said:

. . . building on islands don't make you legal owners. . . . Enough history lesson, spend a bit of time reading for yourself.

Dang, that's what we normally recommend to new members here.   Welcome to the forum.  Lots of info here.  If you would like to explain to the Chinese about building on islands not making them the owner then there are a fleet of Philippine fisherman who would be right behind you, just out of gun range. :hystery:

This in no way suggests that you are wrong in your legal opinion.  It suggests that might makes right and no one has pushed them off.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I agree about the fishermen, but an Aussie has to be polite and wait for an invitation, like our planes going over to Mindino to help with the ruckus. I'm sure if it comes to push and shove the Philippines will still own the islands. Why rush the Chiness haven't finished building realastate for the Philippines.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Clermont said:

I agree about the fishermen, but an Aussie has to be polite and wait for an invitation, like our planes going over to Mindino to help with the ruckus. I'm sure if it comes to push and shove the Philippines will still own the islands. Why rush the Chiness haven't finished building realastate for the Philippines.

Not caring about who owns what but isn't the proper term filipino not Philippino because it's more pun in ..............

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Sorry Gerald, quite right about spelling, not one of my strong points.

• Like 1