PhilHealth rate increase for foreigners

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

do you have anywhere I can have a look at the rates ie. website?

Pacific Cross (formerly Blue Cross Philippines) is looking better and better. http://www.pacificcross.com.ph/PCWService/Content/PDF/20161229074846Premier Brochure_FULL_2016-06 (June04)_P2016-10_web.pdf

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Guys, I am reading this differently.  It appears to me to say a "member" who is a foreigner has these higher rates.  Now check the Phil Health web site and see the definition of "Member" and "Dependent".  I think this is written to increase the premium for foreigner who take out Phil Health.  I think your Philippine spouse can still enroll as a "Member" at the existing rate and her/his spouse be covered as a "Dependent" of the "Member".  This is further evidenced by the final paragraph that says:

All member-foreign nationals and their qualified dependents (non-Filipino) are excluded from availing themselves of the following NHIP benefits:

They are making a clear distinction between member and dependent.

I believe the purpose of the circular is to raise the rates for foreign singles and/or foreign couples who are taking out Phil Health.  I think if your Filipina spouse takes out the coverage as a member you as a dependent are covered and the rate should still be the old rate.  I also think the Z plan would still be available as it is written above.  See the following links for definition of Member and Dependent, then read again the circular and let me know what you think.

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/informal/member.html

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/informal/dependent.html

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

If this is the case in July, I guess we could have the option of keeping Philhealth for my husband, and another family member could replace me. Or the option of paying more for a different insurance would make more sense to us. PhilHealth doesn't really serve we foreigners that much overall anyway. My husband recently had a motorcycle accident, and spent 5 days in a private room, in a private hospital here in Cebu. After all was said and done, PhilHealth contributed about $230.00 towards the total bill. Not that much help. Being excluded from that Z plan would be a disadvantage too for us too. I guess better to maintain that buffer aside, in case of expected or unexpected medical expenses.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Dave--this sounds like a decent plan. What are the rates for younger members though?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

What are the rates for younger members though?

MUCH better but just search for Pacific Cross web site as there are lots of different plans and I don't want to sound like I am promoting or recommending that company.  Its just a company that has been around for a while and has rates listed on line.

For the truth of it, your best bet is to go to your hospital of choice and ask the administrator what plan they accept most readily.  I did that and cannot be sure if I remember the plan right but I think it was http://www.caritashealthshield.com.ph/ When I looked it up it was going to cost me 50K pesos a year at age 61 and I chose to self-insure.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

This may explain the increase in rates. It's the old scenario where a company is punished and the punishment is passed down the food chain. http://www.msn.com/en-ph/money/topstories/coa-orders-philhealth-return-p247m-unauthorized-allowances/ar-AAn9iWH?li=BBr8Mkm&ocid=mailsignout

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

who would that be Kev?  I assume it would very much depend on age, I am 66 now, do you have anywhere I can have a look at the rates ie. website?

As an Aussie you should take a look at this https://www.1cover.com.au/

Their emergency care treated me like family, could not believe their attention and kindness. They paid majority of my hospital account direct, the balance was refunded to me after a month. preconditions do not seem to be a factor.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I think if your Filipina spouse takes out the coverage as a member you as a dependent are covered and the rate should still be the old rate.

It seems to be clear in the circular, section VIII, that this is not the case.

"Foreign nationals are required to enroll as member and shall not be covered as
dependent by their Filipino Spouse."

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

It seems to be clear in the circular, section VIII, that this is not the case.

"Foreign nationals are required to enroll as member and shall not be covered as
dependent by their Filipino Spouse."

So it would seem from July and new membership but she ( My Wife) has just renewed ours and she inquired, existing cover (Ours since 2008) have no increase However, her Mother now has her own membership due to the Law change on filipino OAP's and thus removed from my Wife's account But we have added a niece. All this is about new accounts really & I can't see any changes on preexisting Cover :smile:

jack:smile:

Morning All:morning1:

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

where a company is punished and the punishment is passed down the food chain.

That is the FOREIGN food chain.