PhilHealth rate increase for foreigners

jpbago
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

If this is the case in July, I guess we could have the option of keeping Philhealth for my husband, and another family member could replace me. Or the option of paying more for a different insurance would make more sense to us. PhilHealth doesn't really serve we foreigners that much overall anyway. My husband recently had a motorcycle accident, and spent 5 days in a private room, in a private hospital here in Cebu. After all was said and done, PhilHealth contributed about $230.00 towards the total bill. Not that much help. Being excluded from that Z plan would be a disadvantage too for us too. I guess better to maintain that buffer aside, in case of expected or unexpected medical expenses.

This new PhilHealth covers out patient which it never did before. (I think) If not, they will lose many customers as why pay Php 17,000 for 10% coverage. What % was the $230 in your husband's bill?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

So it would seem from July and new membership but she ( My Wife) has just renewed ours and she inquired, existing cover (Ours since 2008) have no increase However, her Mother now has her own membership due to the Law change on filipino OAP's and thus removed from my Wife's account But we have added a niece. All this is about new accounts really & I can't see any changes on preexisting Cover :smile:

jack:smile:

Morning All:morning1:

I hope you are right!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

It seems to be clear in the circular, section VIII, that this is not the case.

"Foreign nationals are required to enroll as member and shall not be covered as
dependent by their Filipino Spouse."

I now agree with OnMyWay.  The link in original post takes you to a document that does not show anything beyond item 7.  Interesting that both documents are being published by Phil Health.

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/circulars/2017/TS_circ2017-0003.pdf  - from original post

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/circulars/2017/circ2017-0003.pdf - another URL based on google search

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I hope you are right!

well this is what they said and showed me this printout;

Who are qualified as dependents?

The following also enjoy PhilHealth coverage without additional premiums

Legitimate spouse who is not a member;

Child or children - legitimate, legitimated, acknowledged and illegitimate (as appearing in birth certificate) adopted or stepchild or stepchildren below 21 years of age, unmarried and unemployed.

Children who are twenty-one (21) years old or above but suffering from congenital disability, either physical or mental, or any disability acquired that renders them totally dependent on the member for support, as determined by the Corporation;

Foster child as defined in Republic Act 10165 otherwise known as the Foster Care Act of 2012;

Parents who are sixty (60) years old or above, not otherwise an enrolled member, whose monthly income is below an amount to be determined by PhilHealth in accordance with the guiding principles set forth in the NHI Act of 2013; and,

Parents with permanent disability regardless of age as determined by PhilHealth, that renders them totally dependent on the member for subsistence.

Qualified dependents shall be entitled to a separate coverage of up to 45 days per calendar year. However, the 45 days allowance shall be shared among them.

Important:

Qualified dependents must be declared by the principal member. Their names must be listed under the principal member's Member Data Record (MDR) to ensure hassle-free benefits availment

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

This new PhilHealth covers out patient which it never did before. (I think) If not, they will lose many customers as why pay Php 17,000 for 10% coverage. What % was the $230 in your husband's bill?

I don't know the exact percent JP, but it was just a small amount-- nowhere near ten percent.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, mogo51 said:

who would that be Kev?  I assume it would very much depend on age, I am 66 now, do you have anywhere I can have a look at the rates ie. website?

I looked at Blue cross and  for me alone with full cover it was about a third more than PH.Yes mate lots of questions.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

well this is what they said and showed me this printout;

Who are qualified as dependents?

The following also enjoy PhilHealth coverage without additional premiums

Legitimate spouse who is not a member;

Child or children - legitimate, legitimated, acknowledged and illegitimate (as appearing in birth certificate) adopted or stepchild or stepchildren below 21 years of age, unmarried and unemployed.

Children who are twenty-one (21) years old or above but suffering from congenital disability, either physical or mental, or any disability acquired that renders them totally dependent on the member for support, as determined by the Corporation;

Foster child as defined in Republic Act 10165 otherwise known as the Foster Care Act of 2012;

Parents who are sixty (60) years old or above, not otherwise an enrolled member, whose monthly income is below an amount to be determined by PhilHealth in accordance with the guiding principles set forth in the NHI Act of 2013; and,

Parents with permanent disability regardless of age as determined by PhilHealth, that renders them totally dependent on the member for subsistence.

Qualified dependents shall be entitled to a separate coverage of up to 45 days per calendar year. However, the 45 days allowance shall be shared among them.

Important:

Qualified dependents must be declared by the principal member. Their names must be listed under the principal member's Member Data Record (MDR) to ensure hassle-free benefits availment

Yes, but the question is, is that until July 1 only?  I don't see anything in the circular about a grandfather clause.

We will be going there soon so I will also see if I can find out any detail.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I now agree with OnMyWay.  The link in original post takes you to a document that does not show anything beyond item 7.  Interesting that both documents are being published by Phil Health.

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/circulars/2017/TS_circ2017-0003.pdf  - from original post

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/circulars/2017/circ2017-0003.pdf - another URL based on google search

Yeah, that is a different circular than I saw. It does clearly say we can no longer be listed on our spouse's account. 

~Edit~

I just checked the Pacific Cross link Dave provided and found a  plan for me (I am not a senior).  I can get coverage from them for p20,000 a year. So, no need for PhilHealth if I can get real insurance for about the same price.

I was lucky enough to be a disabled vet so in the US I cancelled my health insurance over 15 years ago and just used the VA. Too bad that is not an option here. :tiphat:

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)

jpbago
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think its great.  In the last 10 years I saved 24,000 pesos by NOT buying PhilHealth and in the next 10 years I will save 170,000 pesos by NOT buying PhilHealth :571c66d400c8c_1(103):  How's that for the glass being half full :whistling:

But you did have some hospital bills out of your pocket in the last 10 years. I recall a picture of you in a hospital with a bleeding problem shortly after you met your latest ex.

PhilHealth used to be Php 1,200 per year up until recently, maybe 3 years ago, then it was Php 150 and just last year Php 2,400 per year. The last 10 years was about Php 15,000.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, jpbago said:

But you did have some hospital bills out of your pocket in the last 10 years.

You caught me.  Yes I was self insured so I don't know how much I would have saved if I could have submitted my bill to Phil Health.  I have been hospitalized once and had a cuple gfs hospitalized with no PhilHealth (using DaveHealth only) so I honestly do not know if I saved or lost doing it my way. :89:  I only know I had no worries :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681: as the bill was affordable.

• Like 3