Gardenia Bread

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I like Gardenia green label high fiber bread at 72 pesos a loaf that I can find in many grocery stores, but what do they put in that stuff?

I thought it was healthy bread but I have had a loaf in the fridge with a label from Jan 17 (its now Feb 22) and I have used it MUCH slower than usual.  I'm down to my last 2 slices and still not a speck of mold on it.  That's just crazy.  Bread is supposed to go moldy in that much time even if it is kept in the ref.

Its just as bad as Macdonalds burger buns.  They don't seem to ever go moldy either.

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Don't ponder it Dave--it's the best go-to bread that we have here.:smile:

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Nice topic, also heard some horror stories about this bread. So many rumors out there, agree it tastes great but if something seems to good to be true............

Bread makers are not that expensive we use ours regularly.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

There is a new German bakers opened up opposite Lee plaza Hypermart. It is between 7/11 and M Luhulllier.I have just bought a white uncut loaf for 100 peso.I know Brown or wholemeal is better for you but those two take no time at all in passing through me.They have all kinds in there and in my opinion it is not expensive.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I'm down to my last 2 slices and still not a speck of mold on it.

We used to buy that same bread when available and as you say, it never goes bad. Space ship food. I used to freeze it, but even then, other bread gets moldy in the freezer.

I stopped buying it mainly as it was always out of stock so I switched to mulungay buns (2p each) or pan de sal. The mulungay is nearby, fresh and warm at 8 AM every day. The mulungay is a tree leaf used in soups, juice, vitamins, and buns. It looks like fiber bread. It never goes bad either as it is all gone in 1 hour.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I agree with Jpbago, I love the fresh bread.  I buy it almost everyday and that is my breakfast.  The locals taught me to touch the front of the glass cases to make sure it is still warm from the oven.  If we have any left the following day we take it over to the in-laws as a treat.  

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I was eating Gardenia. It is not great - but not bad - and certainly not as sweet as a lot of the local bread.  I eat so little bread now so I just buy malangay pandesal when I need bread. p2 a piece and fresh out of the oven. But for sandwiches Gardenia was my go-to bread.   :tiphat:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
banyanman
Posted
Posted

Gardenia bread in the Philippines contains the anti-fungal chemical calcium propionate. About five years ago Gardenia made a big fuss in Malaysia about replacing calcium propionate with 'natural' preservatives (namely raisin juice concentrate and vinegar) but the Malaysian bread does not last as long as the Philippines bread now.

I don't know why Gardenia haven't done the same in the Philippines - most likely because Philippine consumers are not as health conscious and as vocal as Malaysian consumers.

The bread that you buy in local bakeries does not usually contain calcium propionate - that's why it doesn't stay fresh as long.

Calcium propionate is fairly readily processed by the body without adverse side-effects, but in a small number of people it can aggravate gastric conditions and even cause ulcers.  It's also been linked to behavioural issues in some children. But if you've been eating it in the past with no side-effects, there's probably no reason not to continue.

I eat it once or twice a week when I can't get to the local bakery for fresh bread that is made without preservatives. But I wouldn't want to eat it every day.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Our problem is finding unsweetened bread, the normal bread is not good with a savoury filling, even the sugar free bread is sweetened. French bakers do a nice loaf when in stock but our nearest is 1 1/2 hours away. Goldilocks do a diabetics bread but it's seldom in stock locally. Being diabetic I try to stick to the sugarfree options, just waiting for Maxxs to bring out a sugarfree Halo Halo:whistling:

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 7/10/2017 at 10:22 AM, Gary D said:

Our problem is finding unsweetened bread, the normal bread is not good with a savoury filling, even the sugar free bread is sweetened. French bakers do a nice loaf when in stock but our nearest is 1 1/2 hours away. Goldilocks do a diabetics bread but it's seldom in stock locally. Being diabetic I try to stick to the sugarfree options, just waiting for Maxxs to bring out a sugarfree Halo Halo:whistling:

Bread only is four cups of flour a bit of salt and yeast. Takes less than hour if not counting the raise.  It just turns to fat when you eat it. If you're type II you may be able to cure yourself by giving up carbs and sweets. 

• Like 1