Expats, What's the strangest item you brought to Philippines?

Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 2/23/2017 at 2:42 PM, JJReyes said:

Fighting rooster eggs shipped to the Philippines are called, "Texas." You buy them from dealers at an average cost of $50 each. From a highly reputable breeder, each egg could cost $200. If you see a Filipino on an in-bound flight lovingly carrying a blanket, it probably contains one or two dozen Texas. 

Both cocks and hens are used for breeding. It's the off springs that do the fighting. Price is no object to an aficionado because the betting runs into the millions. Sport bags are used to carry the money wrapped and bundled in plastic.It's an absolute honor system. They just declare how many millions are in the bag. No counting. The money is not unwrapped. Winners just use it to bet on the next fight.

How hard is it to get those through customs?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Custom agent asks, "What's in the egg carton?"

He replies, "Breakfast."

Underneah the container is P500. 

Custom agent says, "Thank you very much."

Reboot
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Custom agent asks, "What's in the egg carton?"

He replies, "Breakfast."

Underneah the container is P500. 

Custom agent says, "Thank you very much."

That method has helped me more than once elsewhere. A passport with a crisp $20 tucked into it has gotten me out of trouble before. But I suspect it's a bit more difficult getting Filipino eggs to the U.S.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Reboot said:
On 2/23/2017 at 1:42 PM, JJReyes said:

Fighting rooster eggs shipped to the Philippines are called, "Texas." You buy them from dealers at an average cost of $50 each. From a highly reputable breeder, each egg could cost $200. If you see a Filipino on an in-bound flight lovingly carrying a blanket, it probably contains one or two dozen Texas. 

Both cocks and hens are used for breeding. It's the off springs that do the fighting. Price is no object to an aficionado because the betting runs into the millions. Sport bags are used to carry the money wrapped and bundled in plastic.It's an absolute honor system. They just declare how many millions are in the bag. No counting. The money is not unwrapped. Winners just use it to bet on the next fight.

How hard is it to get those through customs?

I researched this once. It is possible but you have to get an import permit from the Philippines and you have to purchase from USDA approved exporter.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Reboot said:

That method has helped me more than once elsewhere. A passport with a crisp $20 tucked into it has gotten me out of trouble before. But I suspect it's a bit more difficult getting Filipino eggs to the U.S.

Yes. If you carry a Philippine passport, Customs sometimes ask if you are bringing "balut" or "bagoong" with you.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, earthdome said:

I researched this once. It is possible but you have to get an import permit from the Philippines and you have to purchase from USDA approved exporter.

I wonder how many Filipinos have filed for a import permit. The Pinoys (relatives and friends) I have met passing through Honolulu utilized the more informal method. 

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

39 minutes ago, earthdome said:

I wonder how many Filipinos have filed for a import permit. The Pinoys (relatives and friends) I have met passing through Honolulu utilized the more informal method. 

That may be a workable solution for a filipino returning but I wouldn't want to try that as a foreigner.

• Like 2