Paying bills while outside Philippines

Bryan Young
Posted
Posted

My wife and I bought a condo in Pasay but we won't move there permanently yet. What is the best way to pay bills (PLDT, Meralco, etc). The condo dues we were able to use our CapitalOne with no foreign transaction fees, but no luck with the others. Auto charge for PLDT has to be set up with a Philippine bank, or a Philippine credit card.

Currently my brother in law is going to the condo to get the bill and paying in person every month, and we just transfer the money to him, but that's inconvenient for him.

We tried to open a bank account at BDO but there were restrictions for US citizens (deposits could only be made in the US, which I guess isn't a big deal since that's where our money is anyway), and they couldn't do autocharge, we'd have to manually make the payment each month. 

Is there any way to have the bills paid in full each month without having to do anything?

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Have your BIL open a BPI or BDO account either alone or joint with your wife , then use Transferwise and auto pay.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Bryan Young said:

Is there any way to have the bills paid in full each month without having to do anything?

Don't know about not having to do anything but I use PNB Internet banking and pay that way, the don't like Standing orders or D//D for some reason here in the PI But then :571c66d400c8c_1(103): YMMV worth a visit to their site:tiphat:

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=philippine+mational+banl&rlz=1C1GIWA_enPH638PH638&oq=philippine+mational+banl&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.10655j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like 1

Bryan Young
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Have your BIL open a BPI or BDO account either alone or joint with your wife , then use Transferwise and auto pay.

He has a BPI account of his own, and we tried to set up bill payment, but there doesn't seem to be an auto pay option for either PLDT or Meralco. 

Bryan Young
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Don't know about not having to do anything but I use PNB Internet banking and pay that way, the don't like Standing orders or D//D for some reason here in the PI But then :571c66d400c8c_1(103): YMMV worth a visit to their site:tiphat:

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=philippine+mational+banl&rlz=1C1GIWA_enPH638PH638&oq=philippine+mational+banl&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.10655j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

When you pay, you log in each month to send the payment? 

jpbago
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Bryan Young said:

He has a BPI account of his own, and we tried to set up bill payment, but there doesn't seem to be an auto pay option for either PLDT or Meralco. 

https://www.bpiexpressonline.com/p/0/2/bills-payment

https://www.bpiexpressonline.com/p/1/1/enroll-online

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Bryan Young said:

I think what your saying is direct debit of the bill amount paid to the utility company. No you have to log in and pay what ever the bill amount is.

Bryan Young
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think what your saying is direct debit of the bill amount paid to the utility company. No you have to log in and pay what ever the bill amount is.

From what I read here: 

http://www.meralco.com.ph/products-services-tools/payment-options

Automatic payment arrangement is what I want but when we signed up what we got is what you describe...we can only seem to log in and put in the amount manually.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Bryan Young said:

When you pay, you log in each month to send the payment? 

21 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

No, you set up recurring payments (PLDT) or bills (Meralco) to be paid on a certain day each month for up to 12 months.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

No, you set up recurring payments (PLDT) or bills (Meralco) to be paid on a certain day each month for up to 12 months.

Can't agree here as this would be a Standing order and as we all know Nothing's the same each month, I log on and pay what they have asked for, It is not brain surgery, all you need to do is make sure there is enough in the account to pay the Bill.

Direct debits can be so bad as you are never in control, the Supplier will tell the bank I want X where as they ask by invoice Internet banking and you can decide to pay or not.

I get the jist of recurring but................:571c66d400c8c_1(103):