Prepaid Credit Cards Used Or Accepted In Philippines?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Philippines is still a cash culture however many established businesses in larger cities will now take credit cards. 

Have any Expats or visitors used prepaid credit cards? Prepaid cards are widely available and honored in the States and most other western countries, are they available in Philippines? Are cards bought in western countries accepted in Philippines?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Prepaid credit cards are often linked to your Philippine bank account.  I use mine as a credit card when shopping online but they use it as a debit card in brick and mortar stores.  I could not say if a foreign one would work.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The reason for the question is having a prepaid card could be a good way to avoid a large loss and inconvenience if stolen or lost. As a visitor this may be an option?

• Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

I had a Australian Commonwealth Banks prepaid Mastercard with me last time i visited (lost my "real"card a few days before and that was the only thing i could get in a short notice).

As long as the card had money on it, it was welcomed in every ATM or shop that accepted Mastercard. It worked evey single time i used it.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There are exceptions that come to mind.  When I tried to use my Debit Mastercard for the "deposit" at the hotel I stayed in, the clerk said that if it was a "real" Mastercard they just put a hold on the funds but since it is a Debit Mastercard the money immediately comes out of the account just like I am giving them the cash and then when and if I want my deposit back it can be a problem.  Then cannot "redeposit" it for me and if I want the cash back there is a deduction for the handling fee.  I solved that by just giving cash for a deposit but then its back to square 1.  Cash is king here and I use it 99% of the time.

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Cash is king here and I use it 99% of the time.

I use cash 100% of the time.

Correct me if I'm wrong. In the states one has a credit card limit that is good anywhere. It all depends on your credit rating. 

Here in the Philippines if you have a debit card from a bank here, you can only charge the amount you have in our account.

So, what's the use ? That's why I use cash for everything here.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

So, what's the use ?

Mainly for buying on line, buying airline tickets and making hotel reservations that require a credit card.  Its also useful to link to your PayPal as Philippine PayPal requires a credit card for withdrawals if you use PayPal at all

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have heard a few Brits mention in the past that they like to use a Caxton card, which is a prepaid currency card. Not sure how it works, but they reckon it is the safest option for them while visiting the Philippines. 

https://www.caxtonfx.com/

Edited by Gas
  • Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. In the states one has a credit card limit that is good anywhere. It all depends on your credit rating. 

Here in the Philippines if you have a debit card from a bank here, you can only charge the amount you have in our account.

A debit card is not a credit card. With a credit card you are borrowing money to be paid at a later date.  When you use a debit card, the money is deducted from your checking account. 

Even in the Philippines my credit card has a limit that is good in any country in the world. My UK or Philippine debit cards only allow me to withdraw what funds i have in the account. 

Edited by Gas
  • Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I use my card from my bank in the states to make hotel reservations and purchase airline tickets. 

Everything else I buy with cash. Often I get a discount when paying with cash and never a hassle. 

Our bank account here in the Philippines is more for my wife's benefit than mine.