Prepaid Credit Cards Used Or Accepted In Philippines?

Gas
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes but the topic is

and a prepaid credit card IS a debit card that is backed by one of the credit card major players like Visa or Mastercard.  At least that is what it is here and you use it as either a debit card OR a credit card depending on where you are using it.

Yes, the topic is prepaid credit cards, but my answer was to Gratufeld as he seems to think that you cannot get a 'credit card' limit here in the Philippines.

Do you only use reloadable prepaid cards here in the Philippines?  

On my Philippine issued debit cards backed by MasterCard it has ATM debit card written on the front. On my Philippine issued credit cards there is no reference to whether it a debit or credit card. 

Edited by Gas

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

Were you able to use it for hotel bookings or buying airline tickets?

As another poster pointed out hotels don't like debit cards because there is a double transaction in case of a cancellation. With a credit card (or charge card eg AMEX) the card operator "reserves" the deposit by reducing the available credit on the card. Thus the hotel is guaranteed payment without having to handle receivable or payable transactions until the guest settles their bill. 

Used to for both Phil Airlines and Cebu Pacific + booked thru Airbnb and Hotels.com. ATMs gave money out and it was accepted in both SM and Robinsons. I just gave my Aussia drivers license with the card (it had "Prepaid" in the name spot) and had 0 problems. Just make sure its either Visa or Mastercard (not the debit or electronic versions or American Express) and you should be safe.

• Like 1