Jeepney scourge of da Philippines?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Another Jeepney good or bad topic. I hate them. HATE them! IMO any larger city should do away with them and encourage bus service public or private. Manila and Cebu City are gridlocked both places are screwed even if suddenly billions were available to expand roads it would not help much due to Jeepney's. If the government were to quickly reduce the number and regulate them it would be a huge step forward until bus service could be brought online. Much of this is the typical lack of order (Jeepney stops/pickup locations) and common sense. 

Towns and rural areas are well served by Jeepney service in most cases. 

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I would have said commercial tricycles were the scourge. Some smaller towns relegate them to side streets only.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

Another Jeepney good or bad topic. I hate them. HATE them!

Well, I raise you triple HATE them!  Many jeepney associations are owned/operated by syndicate of police, local govt officials and other two legged snakes.  A recent post regarding jeepney and bus strikes in metro Manila will cause massive public transportation nightmare.  The local govt wants to eliminate them inside metro.  

Unfortunately, you can't clean the stain that has been there for decades.  And it stinks really bad......

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The new guy in town may change that or at least start.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

Manila and Cebu City are gridlocked both places are screwed even if suddenly billions were available to expand roads it would not help much due to Jeepney's

The bad habits by commercial drivers is the not the cause of gridlock. They have behaved in a similar manner for the past 50 years. Every year, 300,000 new vehicles are added to Philippine streets. How many new roads do they build during the same time period? Blame poor government planing and economic prosperity. 

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The only way busses would be an improvement is if they were forced to stop at designated bus stops and nowhere else.

:thumbsup:  What can I say to that.jpg There is nothing to Add to this as it is right on the nail :smile:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

But I think the biggest problem on our roads is the abundance of private vehicles.

I kind of agree.  Everyone else should be forced to take public transportation, except me :hystery:  I mean how many foreigners have cars?  Most?  And we are as big a part of the problem as anyone else . .  except those of us who walk 5 miles or more a day :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I mean how many foreigners have cars?  Most?  And we are as big a part of the problem as anyone else .

% wise of population I might agree but in January, Suzuki (Dumaguete) sold 22 new vehicles 2 to foreigners and 20 to Locals,

far better we have New vehicles on the road than the crap that is running Round. Time to start a programme of 15 to 20 years old, :Zap: off the road and on the scrap heap. Won't ever come I know But...........:571c66d400c8c_1(103):Wishful thinking here 

BTW, people write here that cost prohibits the Purchase of a car, I wonder How many Would. if they came into some cash?

My reason as I stated in a previous Topic was a family need and not a family want otherwise I would have not bought

JMHO and input Folk :thumbsup:

• Like 3