Jeepney scourge of da Philippines?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Another contributing factor for the traffic is the lack of garages and parking lots. When constructing a new building, they don't allocate a sufficient number of parking spaces for the tenants and their visitors. Many private cars have a driver who simply circles the block while the owner is in the bank or dental appointment. This has somewhat diminished with the arrival of the mobile phone. The car and driver can be somewhere else like a shopping center parking lot and the owner sends a text message when ready for pick-up.  It still contributes to traffic compared to parking at the location.

Because of the jeepney strike yesterday, I took the precaution of calling a cab service for pick-up at our condo-hotel. No problem going to the venue for our first 50th class reunion party. The problem was getting a cab for the return trip. The security guards at the Manila Polo Club tried hailing a cab for me while we waited at the clubhouse. No luck. I decided to call the cab service and a taxi arrived about 20 minutes later. 

The cost for the service is double or higher compared to meter rate. You tell them both your location and destination, and pick-up time. The dispatcher gives you a price. They are seldom late. Clean cabs and uniformed, courteous drivers. For those interested, it is Tai Taxi (801-2851). This is for Metro Manila. 

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the cab info.  We'll give them a try in May.  

Did you ever try Uber while in Metro Manila?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, SNAFU said:

I spent 10 years as a public transportation professional

Back in the day I spent 30 years with Greyhound and on some routes we had people packed in like sardines, same as on the jeepneys.  We were also known to be a nuisance on the road as we would just pass some guy and then a passenger would holler to let him off up ahead.  The people did not hit their head on the roof unless they were in the toilet when I hit a pothole but once in a while the guy in front would push his seat WAY back and if a passenger was snoozing he could get hit in the head by the seat in front.  (One person tried to sue about that and the paperwork was horrendous but she did not win).

Bottom line, whatever public transit is on the road, someone will have something to complain about.

• Like 5

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

af8561ed83da5e25b7ad68927db47b4c.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

One jeepney is still better than 20 cars. The biggest issue are the drivers. They should be teached how to become better drivers and how to maintain their vecicles better. I liked it to get a ride approximately every 20 seconds or so in bigger cities. On all my Philippines travels I used jeepneys and tricycles quite often.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 2/27/2017 at 7:30 PM, SNAFU said:

af8561ed83da5e25b7ad68927db47b4c.jpg

Looks like there is room for one more

• Like 4